Ranger vs Rhino ???

/ Ranger vs Rhino ??? #1  

dtheholtz

I am looking into purchasing an atv this year. I bought a kubota RTV last year and use it all the time. I am looking for something faster but still strong.
What are the pros and cons to both the ranger(4x4 or 6x6) and the rhino?
What should i buy?

/ Ranger vs Rhino ??? #2  
I am in the same boat you are. I have a Gator 6X4 though. I have narrowed my search to the Rhino and Ranger 4X4. Here is what I see so far.

Both will run in the 40 mph range.
Both have comparable ground clearance 12" on the Rhino and 11" on the Ranger.
The turning radius is close on both, the Ranger has the edge at 148" compared to 153" for the Rhino.

The Rhino is smaller and probably better suited for trail riding, hunting and general recreational activities. I drove one on Thanksgiving morning and it is a blast. There are aftermarket CDI's without a rev limiter that will let the Rhino push 55mph. The downside of the Rhino is it's load carrying capacity. It is only rated to carry 400lbs in it's small bed. The towing capacity is 1200lbs which isn't too shabby. No cup holder.

The Ranger is full size and has a 1000lb capacity in the bed and 1500lb towing capacity. The 2005 models have independent suspension where as the 04's did not. The Ranger also has a bench seat with room for 3. Cup holder.

Can you tell I have been studying? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Ranger vs Rhino ??? #3  
I drove both and was going to buy the Ranger 6X6 to go with my RTV. However, two of my friends who have the Rangers talked me out of them. I've put this in earlier threads, but I'll mention it again. I have nothing out for Polaris, but maybe for them to improve their durability. Both friends who bought the Rangers had them in several times during the warranty period and several times after the warranty period. They both kept suffering from numerous problems.

The one guy tried to trade his Polaris on a Rhino, but the Yamaha dealer told him that he'd be better selling it outright. In other words, they wouldn't take his in on trade. He is a bit hard on his units, but so far he can't break his Rhino. I am not as hard on my Rhino, but I have added the BlackRhino CDI unit that allows it to run over 50, and several other adds.

After having it, I'm really glad I bought it. I don't see how you can beat one. My only wish is that it would be fuel injected. I'm not used to using the choke and warming it up in the cold weather. Other than that, it's a true beast. Do some searches on Google or any other ATV "side by side" forum, and you'll find the Rhino the one to beat.

When it's your money, you need to buy what you want, so try all you are interested in and read up on what other owners have to say about their units. Good luck! I wouldn't trade my RTV or Rhino for any other units. For me, that's saying something. If I don't like something, it's gone! Right now, I'm just waiting for the 27" Maxxis Bighorn Radials to come on for my Rhino. I have the 25' Bighorns on my RTV and I love them! The traction is tremendous and it actually improves the ride even though they are 6 ply tires.

/ Ranger vs Rhino ???
Thanks for the info! Very apprecieted! Well, the info about the rangers needing repairs is not good....i think i need to test drive the rhino to help decide.
My brother thinks i need an Artic Cat Quad... Know anything about them?

/ Ranger vs Rhino ??? #5  
Just to add my experience if it helps in your decision making. I bought 2 Polaris ATV's 5 years ago, one 4 stroke and one 2 stroke. The 4 stroke has cost about $1/mile in maintenance and the 2 stroke, which has never run right, at least 50% more. Neither were Rangers though. I also had a Yamaha dealer say he wouldn't take a Polaris on trade. So I've decided to keep them for recreation and light duty and save for an RTV for heavy duty. I looked at the Artic Cat with the dump bed but the light bed capacity is a concern.

/ Ranger vs Rhino ??? #6  
I'd suggest you try these two sites to help make up your mind. the first is http://www.utilityoffroad.com and look for the post of Oct. 30 (page 3) titled Who would buy a Ranger? the second one is http://forums.atvconnection.com The Polaris file contains a thread titled "Opinions on Polaris ATV's and Rangers needed". These two threads deal with the Polaris issues of reliabilty and second time buying. If a company doesn't have second time buyers they're in deep trouble. You will be surprised at what first time buyers, second and third time buyers of Polaris have to say.

Good luck in making your decision. It's never an easy thing!!

/ Ranger vs Rhino ??? #7  
I also seriously considered both and bought a Ranger 6x6 last summer and could not be happier.

/ Ranger vs Rhino ??? #8  
One thing to consider is that Polaris is replacing the 500cc powerplant with its 700cc EFI v-twin in the Ranger.

/ Ranger vs Rhino ??? #9  
The innitial reviews of the 700 EFI in the '05 4x4 Ranger XP has been very impressive. Rumor has it that an 800 EFI will be in the 6x6 for '06.