Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #41  
Lotsa luck finding someone who repairs appliances anymore, regardless of competence. I'm sure it's a combination of a trade no one's interested in learning anymore and the general unrepairability of modern appliances.

Icemakers are a high failure item anyway. We don't use enough to make it worth it.
We use a lot of ice in summer for out by the pool and such. ;)

We also use a bin of ice once a week when we're cooling our hardboiled eggs. We eat about a dozen of those every week.

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #42  
We use a lot of ice in summer for out by the pool and such. ;)

We also use a bin of ice once a week when we're cooling our hardboiled eggs. We eat about a dozen of those every week.
We love our scotsman cabinet ice maker. I would never build another house or kitchen without one, but they are not very reliable. we haven’t used our refrigerator freezers ice maker at all.

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #43  
My beer fridge out in our pavilion was my great grandmother’s from the 1950’s. I got It from my parent’s basement about 7 years ago. It had sat there unplugged not in use for a long time. I was at moms one day and asked about it since I liked the look. Figured it didn’t work, I plugged it in and it’s worked ever since. I sanded the exterior and painted it red, it looks great and other than the ice box not having defrost it works great. It’s a GE, still working over 70 years later. Lucky to get 10 years from one today.

Mike

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #44  
Jen-aire use to be a top of the line product. I have a glass top down draft oven/ stove. The glass top broke. I have a white one. The white one is no longer available. The black trim one is available....... for $500 + shipping. :(

The Kenmore/whirlpool washing machine was an enlightening experience. They used a zinc cast spider to hold the stainless drum, which rotted out. And it is the ONLY part you can't buy as a replacement. You can get ANYTHING else, just not this part. That seems a bit intentional.

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #45  
There are a lot of reasons appliances are worse in many ways today. Regs are just as guilty as Corps and electronics.

For us, we have had good luck using Consumer Reports to help in those decisions. Like anything, YMMV, but we have had excellent luck when using them as a guide. Reliability is our #1 factor. We don't always pick the top rated appliance, but we always get a reliable one.

Dishwasher is a Bosch. Quiet and effective. Not a problem except failure to keep the filter clean at times.

Cook top is a Samsung. It has been awesome.

Wall ovens are Whirlpool. No issues there either.

The only problems I've had on Fridges have been the ice/water convenience.

Don't use a toaster...they are uni-taskers. Toaster oven for me. The ones we have had lasted 10 plus years with 6 of us. Seems reasonable for the type of appliance. Of I just wanted to toast bread, I could do it on a camp stove...or my gas cooktop. :)

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #46  
We're on our 2nd toaster in 42 years. The first one was a two slice and we wanted a 4 slice, or we'd still have the original.

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #47  
We are religious about running soft water to the dishwasher. The first one got plugged with lime. That's not what killed it, but it seriously lowered the wash quality. So the last 3 have all been spotless inside. No lime or calcium buildup. The new ones are also water savers, so they use less water and have to have smaller jets than the old ones to increase pressure. So another reason to only use soft water. I do have to say that our current Bosch is very quiet. Only when it fills at first can you hear any moans and groans, clicks and clacks. After that it's a nice quiet woosh. You can have a normal conversation in the kitchen with it running. The old ones sounded like a power washer inside a box of broken glass!
Our water isn’t real hard, but over time there is some lime residue. I run the dishwasher with a quart of white vinegar about twice a year and it takes care of that situation.

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #48  
Lotsa luck finding someone who repairs appliances anymore, regardless of competence. I'm sure it's a combination of a trade no one's interested in learning anymore and the general unrepairability of modern appliances.

Icemakers are a high failure item anyway. We don't use enough to make it worth it.
Most large appliances can be repaired, but repair costs are often so high that’s it’s cheaper to replace the appliance.

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #49  
Our 40 y.o. Maytag washer and dryer still works fine. Washer has needed 2 sets of hoses, dryer I had to replace drum belt not long ago as well as door latch, about $30.

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #50  
Our 40 y.o. Maytag washer and dryer still works fine. Washer has needed 2 sets of hoses, dryer I had to replace drum belt not long ago as well as door latch, about $30.
I had an old Maytag set like that. I replaced belts and heating coils, pump and a few other things. Then the control dial went out and that part was unavailable. That’s when they got replaced.