Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #51  
My beer fridge out in our pavilion was my great grandmother’s from the 1950’s. I got It from my parent’s basement about 7 years ago. It had sat there unplugged not in use for a long time. I was at moms one day and asked about it since I liked the look. Figured it didn’t work, I plugged it in and it’s worked ever since. I sanded the exterior and painted it red, it looks great and other than the ice box not having defrost it works great. It’s a GE, still working over 70 years later. Lucky to get 10 years from one today.

Mike
The self defrost feature is nice although it does drive up the cost of your electric bill. It also dries your food out after a while; I've had ice cube trays emptied out in a couple of months.

I would like to have a manual defrost for the garage; it would be great for storing garden spoils.

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #52  
I have a Dacor wall oven with matching integrated microwave and a Dacor gas oven/range combo and they are restaurant grade. No problems.

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #53  
I've been thinking about getting a cheap small refrigerator for my unconditioned workshop/barn that is about 300 yards from my house. Will a fridge work if it's 0F or 95F?

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #54  
alot of newer appliances like my Samsung inverter fridge have a VFD built into the control board. My friends went out 6 months Into owning his and $1200 part for a $1600 fridge.

We have a 10 or so year old washer. Replaced numerous parts on it but the cold valve went out. Wired the hot to cold vice versa and now the other valve is starting to leak. Wife is on me hard to get a new washer anyway do she can wash bedding at home.

We had an old dryer but the timer switch was over $200 too replace so we found another old dryer. Now I'm on my 3rd heating element but it's still kicking 10 or so years after dragging it off a curb

We had a coffee pot recently only last 3 or so years. Board shorted and it was power cycling the processor on it.

we recently sold my in laws house. 80-90s era A/C unit. Just started leaking last year. 90-00's fridge. Still works. 20 year old coffee pot. still kicking. Oven from the 70's remodel. Still works.

my grandma had a 1992 furnace last until around 2018/9 when the heat tubes rotted thru. Cost of fixing it was more than it was worth.

Last edited:
   / Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #55  
Our water isn’t real hard, but over time there is some lime residue. I run the dishwasher with a quart of white vinegar about twice a year and it takes care of that situation.
You are lucky. Ours is quite hard out of the ground. All the water in the house is run through our softener, not just the hot. I do have a faucet right before the softener that I can fill a pitcher from. Our well water is quite tastey. Not so much after the softener. :p

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #56  
Well I had 2 Bosch dish washers from the early 2000’s that would wash dried concrete off our dishes. One broke and we could not get parts. Replaced with Kitchen Aid. Would have been better off letting the dogs like the dishes clean. It’s a pile of crap.
The other Bosch is still hanging on, but the switches are glitchy.

We want to remove the Kitchen Aid and give it to someone we don’t like as a gift.

We are looking at Meile and Bosch, but haven’t done anything yet.
😅😅

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #57  
I've been thinking about getting a cheap small refrigerator for my unconditioned workshop/barn that is about 300 yards from my house. Will a fridge work if it's 0F or 95F?
Yes. I’ve had a shop fridge for years.

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #58  
I picked up a new scratch and dented Hisense 1.6 cu ft mini fridge for my shop recently for $50. It was a Walmart return item. Great buy. Normally a $100. Basically a hotel tiny mini fridge. Holds mid 30’s temp. but yet to be tested in 100 degree summertime. The “freezer” compartment holds two 16oz drinks. 🤣

Last edited:
   / Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #59  
So a water bottle won't freeze in the fridge if ambient temp is 0?

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #60  
Yes. I’ve had a shop fridge for years
So a water bottle won't freeze in the fridge if ambient temp is 0?
i haven’t had that issue. Refrigerators are pretty well insulated.