Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality
So a water bottle won't freeze in the fridge if ambient temp is 0?
I have had that happen when it was well below freezing for days on end, but the refrigerators, as jyoutz says, do insulated items inside from the cold fairly decently.

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #62  
The self defrost feature is nice although it does drive up the cost of your electric bill. It also dries your food out after a while; I've had ice cube trays emptied out in a couple of months.

I would like to have a manual defrost for the garage; it would be great for storing garden spoils.
No real love for manual defrost here. We have a chest freezer that's manual defrost. I agree they're less prone to freezer burn, but it's not hard to find things I'd rather do than to pull everything out and chip out ice with a heatgun.
I understand that after a few years of twisting that cheap plastic they break but JeezE! they only cost a couple of bucks apiece. Plus when they break those little compartments are great for putting small nuts and bolts in when you are taking something apart. :D
I was referring to automatic icemakers built into the fridge. Yeah, we just use the plastic ones too. Don't think we've broken one yet.

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #63  
Here’s a few pictures of my 1950’s GE “Beer Fridge”
it lives in our outdoor pavilion, currently unplugged for winter.
My great grandmother bought it new. The freezer box is not auto defrost so it will eventually turn into an almost solid block of ice. I manually defrost it a couple of times during its summer use, it tends to not cool as well if I let the ice box freeze up.

Mike

A1D4624C-F644-445E-AC98-0A8E02D12D01.jpeg
231C54B0-97BB-4F12-98F0-945501382205.jpeg

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #64  
Here’s a few pictures of my 1950’s GE “Beer Fridge”
it lives in our outdoor pavilion, currently unplugged for winter.
My great grandmother bought it new. The freezer box is not auto defrost so it will eventually turn into an almost solid block of ice. I manually defrost it a couple of times during its summer use, it tends to not cool as well if I let the ice box freeze up.

Mike

View attachment 782314View attachment 782315
I have an old GE “deer” fridge of the same era. I only use it when it’s too warm outside to age carcasses in our insulated garage. it worked perfectly last September, when I plugged it in and pressed it into service, on an early season doe.

I like my venison aged a week or so, before prosessing, vacuum-sealing and freezing, to get it past rigor mortis. The carcasses age perfectly inside that old non-frost free fridge. They would probably dry out to much inside a modern, frost-free model.
4A884A89-55F5-4428-BF4E-7B2454D4777B.jpeg

Mine has a separate freezer up top, and I stripped out all the racks and drawers down below. I rest the front on the neck and hang the hind quarters from hooks up top.

Last edited:
   / Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #65  
I was referring to automatic icemakers built into the fridge. Yeah, we just use the plastic ones too. Don't think we've broken one yet.
I knew that. I was just stirring the pot. :D

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #66  
Those 1950s refrigerators used to come with two ice trays that unlike today's plastic multi-divided trays, were aluminum with no dividers. There was an aluminum assembly that divided the tray into sections with a lever that was used to pry the little chunks of ice apart from one another. If you over filled the tray, it would break the aluminum divider thing. I'd be surprised if any of the aluminum trays are still around in working condition.

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #67  
Those 1950s refrigerators used to come with two ice trays that unlike today's plastic multi-divided trays, were aluminum with no dividers. There was an aluminum assembly that divided the tray into sections with a lever that was used to pry the little chunks of ice apart from one another. If you over filled the tray, it would break the aluminum divider thing. I'd be surprised if any of the aluminum trays are still around in working condition.
I actually have about ten of those trays. Haha. Old aluminum tray with the assembly linked together you can drop in. The cubes they make are pretty large!

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #68  
They also had wire rack shelves that didn't break unlike today's plastic and doors that actually latched. The problem with the latch was sometimes people would have a refrigerator sitting around in storage in the basement. Some kid would decide to play hide and seek inside the refrigerator, but couldn't get out in time due to the latch. That's why no more door latches today.

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #69  
I had an upright freezer which my brother had bought when he was in college. Upon graduation my sister bought it and used it for about 15 years before giving it to me. The plastic interior was patched together with masking tape; it was rusty in places. Yet it kept things frozen. I would start filling it in July during strawberry season, but fall it would be full. I eventually did replace the door gasket, but had it for about 15 years without a problem. I only opened it about every 7 days, to move the next week's supply of groceries to the top part of the refrigerator. I guess that's why I never noticed a difference in my power bill.

I moved someplace and didn't have a secure place to store it so took the door off; losing one of the hinges. I tied the door shut with a bungie cord and kept using it without a problem... even though it set outside on my deck. Eventually I found a newer freezer and threw out the old one. That "newer" freezer was inside yet it only worked about 2 years, before it stopped getting cold.

/ Rant: Modern household appliances are of poorer quality #70  
On the obverse, my parents bought the house in 1964, with a Hotpoint fridge which was built in new in 1959. I sold the house two years ago after my mom's passing - the fridge was still working. I know for certain that it had worked all those years without ever having been pulled out for maintenance!