Rant on shipping

/ Rant on shipping #1,311  
YMMV. In some areas the same people deliver repeatedly and know the route well. One of the many problems with modern society is people think their experience is how everyone has it. Another huge reason why national policies are rarely a good option.

Here in the city, I can tell when our 'regular' letter carriers or garbage collectors are off work.
Yup, I can tell as well, by the time they come by and the mess they leave, and if the cans are in the street or neatly set just off the edge of the street.

They have a truck with an articulated arm that grabs the can and dumps it in truck. Then sets the can back down.

Seems if the pick it up from the edge of the road, the could place it back on the edge.

I've called and complained about the guys grabbing the recycling. If it's not recyclable, or what they will accept, they toss it on the ground so it can blow away or get washed down the storm drain and into the retention pond. seems like it would be just as easy to place it back in the can.

Seems like on recycling day, I spend about 20 minutes picking stuff up, and placing it in random trash cans along the street as I walk.

/ Rant on shipping #1,312  
YMMV. In some areas the same people deliver repeatedly and know the route well. One of the many problems with modern society is people think their experience is how everyone has it. Another huge reason why national policies are rarely a good option.

Here in the city, I can tell when our 'regular' letter carriers or garbage collectors are off work.
I agree and to expand that a little - I've had the opportunity to travel overseas some and have noticed that Americans generally impose their attitudes upon other countries cultures which the other countries find objectionable. What's the saying "Don't judge a man until you've walked in his shoes?"

/ Rant on shipping #1,313  
I have noticed more than normal packages without any packing slip in them. Just the product in a bag or box. Not an issue to me, but seems odd.

/ Rant on shipping
#1,314  
Seems like on recycling day, I spend about 20 minutes picking stuff up, and placing it in random trash cans along the street as I walk.
And do they really recycle it?
For a while our trash trucks were picking up both and just letting it mix together, there was no market for the recycle.

/ Rant on shipping #1,315  
For a while our trash trucks were picking up both and just letting it mix together, there was no market for the recycle.
Good question. The web page describing recycle here, basically says anything with the triangle, paper, and refundable beverage containers.

I've been also putting in scrap metal, any kind their magnet would pick up. I have no idea if this is acceptable. Most recently, badly rusted American Flyer S toy train track.

Also aluminum scrap material.

Anybody know if miscellaneous metal goes to the smelter, or to the landfill?

/ Rant on shipping #1,316  
Also, related, I've read that only type 1 and 2 plastic is actually recycled now that China won't accept plastic scrap.

/ Rant on shipping #1,317  
They only except certain things for recycling. #1 and #2 plastic (clean). Styrofoam if placed in a clear bag. Same thing with packing peanuts. Cardboard boxes and cereal boxes if it's broken down flat and tape removed. Plastic water bottles and aluminum cans (cleaned and stripped of paper).

/ Rant on shipping #1,318  
They only except certain things for recycling. #1 and #2 plastic (clean). Styrofoam if placed in a clear bag. Same thing with packing peanuts. Cardboard boxes and cereal boxes if it's broken down flat and tape removed. Plastic water bottles and aluminum cans (cleaned and stripped of paper).
Maybe they actually do recycle? That would be refreshing!

/ Rant on shipping #1,319  
Maybe they actually do recycle? That would be refreshing!
The cardboard gets shipped to a paper mill about 20 miles west of us that makes boxes, and shipping containers.

Not sure about the rest.

/ Rant on shipping #1,320  
Few days before Christmas, FedEx truck stopped on the side of our house, dropped off a package and then decided to drive across our front yard. Wife was washing dishes and looking out the window, seen the truck drive off, didn't realize that they drove across the yard. I noticed it the next morning, called the police, couldn't do anything without proof (video) that it was FedEx. Guess they couldn't wait and drive the extra distance to the corner and then turn.