Rant on shipping

/ Rant on shipping #971  
Our mail person in our South Dakota area drives what looks to be a rode hard 1990's Buick. It does have a dinky yellow caution light on the top that doesn't work.

/ Rant on shipping #972  
In my almost 71 years, I have never seen the mail not delivered due to weather or any other reason. Indeed, I've found the USPS to be more responsive to complaints than at any time in the past, mis-deliveries are likewise no more common than any other time.

As far as salary goes, while that's pretty good money, ISTR postal workers getting over $20/hr 30 years ago, so clearly the wages haven't kept up with inflation.

Why shoes?
As far as uniforms go, all I've ever dealt with were rural carriers, and don't recall them ever wearing a uniform.

Never said the gov't does anything particularly well, but the USPS even with its shortcomings does a pretty impressive job. I see most of the complaints here more the exception than the rule.
It's all in their respective contracts. City carriers have uniform allowances and are required to wear them. Rural carriers do not have allowances so no uniforms.

/ Rant on shipping #973  
Our mail person in our South Dakota area drives what looks to be a rode hard 1990's Buick. It does have a dinky yellow caution light on the top that doesn't work.
Rural carriers that provide their own vehicles must use a vehicle that is safe to use and able to handle the volume adequately. Other than that they can use a "rode hard 1990's Buick".

/ Rant on shipping #974  
I don't know where you got this "statistic" ("I read it on line so it's gotta be true:poop:"), but that's news to me.
As far as police and firefighters go...both are occupations that require you to be in pretty good shape, it would take a much smaller injury to sideline someone than, say some office job.
i read about disability and govt employees a long time ago, prior to online. But i agree, just cause it's in print.

This fellow was writing an article on phony disability. He found a zip code in the NY city area where the incidence of disability was off the charts. That zip code was also off filled with police and fire fighters as residents....coincidence?

My neighbor was a fire fighter in a big city, went to major dangerous fires all the time. My father in law was a fire fighter in a small town, went to 2 garage fires in his entire career.

I'm gonna bet it's much worse now. Every morning I see 10 commercials for disability lawyers....they come right after the class action lawyer commercials.

It ALWAYS comes down to this.....please.....tell me 1 thing the govt does well.

/ Rant on shipping #975  
The only time mail was suspended is when letter carrier attacked by dogs...

Mail stopped being delivered for several days until dog problem addressed.

On a side note postal service contracting back in the day required fleet manufacturers to provide parts as long as vehicles remained in service...

This meant parts for Model A Fords were available for many years...

Not sure if this still applies today...

/ Rant on shipping #977  
Well, not quite at the same time, but within minutes. They must have passed each other on this road.

/ Rant on shipping #978  
UPS and FedEx are both due in the next couple of hours. Wouldn't be a hoot if .....

You should watch the YouTube video of a FedEx driver getting chased into a UPS truck by a wild turkey.

/ Rant on shipping #979  
i read about disability and govt employees a long time ago, prior to online. But i agree, just cause it's in print.

This fellow was writing an article on phony disability. He found a zip code in the NY city area where the incidence of disability was off the charts. That zip code was also off filled with police and fire fighters as residents....coincidence?

My neighbor was a fire fighter in a big city, went to major dangerous fires all the time. My father in law was a fire fighter in a small town, went to 2 garage fires in his entire career.

I'm gonna bet it's much worse now. Every morning I see 10 commercials for disability lawyers....they come right after the class action lawyer commercials.

It ALWAYS comes down to this.....please.....tell me 1 thing the govt does well.
NASA, any branch of the Military, National Weather Service, for starters On a national level. In Texas our Department of Public Safety does one heck of a good job. Even our Department of Motor Vehicles is pretty well run and focused on public service. Our highways are maintained well by the Texas Department of Transportation considering the number of miles of highways we have.
Government is an easy whipping post for inefficiency but there are things they get right. I’m not an advocate for big government but there is a huge amount of things done right everyday. That might drastically change over the next 4 years.

/ Rant on shipping #980  
I'm not going to argue but i will say i dealt with NASA for years and years.

Now look at space ex....