Ratchet Straps... What are the basics.

/ Ratchet Straps... What are the basics. #1  

JohnnyMX

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200
I bought my first trailer (6x12 utility) and am starting to haul things around with it. Still trying to learn so I'm only talking about some moving boxes, brush/debris, and the occasional run to get a few pallets. I use the straps and tighten everything down as tight as I can and it never fails that things get loose by the time I'm home. Is there any best ways to keep things from shifting? Is it as simple as using more straps or is there a way (pattern) they should be used that I'm missing? Sorry for the dumb question.

/ Ratchet Straps... What are the basics. #2  
It is pretty hard to help as each load is a case by case basis. How and what you stack or pack determines how things will want to shift. Youtube may be your best friend.
I consider packing things tightly so they won't shift when I can. I know that I won't take off extremely fast so I don't worry as much about stuff falling back as I do if I have to hit the brakes hard.
All straps are not made equal either. The least expensive straps that are easy to adjust with just your thumb are not nearly as good as rachet straps.

/ Ratchet Straps... What are the basics. #3  
Loads and trailers (especially smaller utility trailers) shift a bit as soon as you move them. Drive a block or two then recheck/tighten the load. Also, if you're using 1" thin straps they will stretch a lot under load which can be an advantage or disadvantage depending on how you manage it. I prefer 2" for almost everything and only use 1" for very specific things like dirtbikes.

/ Ratchet Straps... What are the basics. #4  
When tying down a snowmobile, ATV, lawnmower, etc. I'll use carabiners to attach the straps to the trailer hooks. This way if they loosen a bit, they won't come off.
+1 on re-tightening them after the first mile or so.

/ Ratchet Straps... What are the basics. #5  
I use a lot of ratchet straps.
Pack stuff tight, a decent strap doesn't loosen.
Keep appropriate straps. Sometimes all you need is a 1" wide HF, but don't use too little if you value your load.
Get a few sections of firehose or similar so you can slip it over sharp edges, a cut strap is useless.
Carabiners are GREAT.
When running the strap don't have it lay flat. put a twist in it.
I try and store mine in individual ziploc bags. We use a lot of them for food storage and when rinsed out they are good for storing a strap.
good link

/ Ratchet Straps... What are the basics. #6  
I can put my nephews stump grinder on my landscape trailer and use ratchet straps and they will stay tight and not move around. Take the exact same straps with the exact same machine on my nephews equipment trailer and they will work loose multiple times in a 20 mile trip. Have to use chains on his trailer to keep them from coming loose.

/ Ratchet Straps... What are the basics. #7  
I try to buy the best 2" straps I can find for heavier loads. I use self contained 1" for my quad tied on 4 corners.

+1 on tight packing the load then strap the load horizontally and over the top on loose stuff.

Pallet loads, I criss cross 2" straps and have never had a problem.

/ Ratchet Straps... What are the basics. #8  
My number one rule be it chains or straps is securing the hook so it cannot totally come free should the device slack.

Always route the fastener through the pocket or rub rail if need be and come back up and along side of the pocket ending with the hook hanging on the top of the pocket. Make sense? (The rub rail can be used but should not be considered to be as strong as a stake pocket. It's okay for say adding an extra strap for something lighter.)

Flat "J" style hooks or chain hooks make this easy. Others like the bent "J" hooks not so much.

When you haul bulk items, load them tight to each other to minimize shifting. When I bring home a load of hay for my horses, I like to use axle straps through the stake pockets with twisted safety hook style straps. I place the axle straps through the pockets before loading because sometimes the pockets get blocked depending on the bale size and how I end up stacking it.

My axle straps have nylon sleeves to negate chafing or cutting from sharp edges. You can buy various types of sleeves for your needs. When I buy something packed with heavy cardboard edge protectors, I save them to use on hauling anything that I think might chafe my straps.

When I secure a vehicle be it a lawn mower or a car, I use an "X" pattern with four straps or chains going from the right side of the trailer to the left side of the vehicle and vice versa and away from the vehicle both front and back.

You can see tie down examples on the federal website for commercial applications. I would imagine that there is plenty on say U-tube,etc.

When you are shopping for your straps, check out the websites that deal with such items. You can spec out your end fasteners, webbing width, length, colors, you name it.

/ Ratchet Straps... What are the basics. #9  
tighten it up, drive it 10 feet, hit the brakes hard, go tighten, do this till it stop loosing, this works with stuff that has suspension or rolling capability

or you can buy these and never worry about it again

/ Ratchet Straps... What are the basics. #10  
Putting a single twist in each strap will prevent air flow over the strap from loosening the strap.

also shifting loads must be expected, so stop and retighten the straps after 10 minutes or so.