rattleing engine

/ rattleing engine #21  
I have a 2515R with a knocking noise that was there from day one. However, I did not discover it until I had the tractor home and put it to work with a brush hog mower. Then I needed to up the rpm to PTO range and at around 1700 RPM the noise was very noticeable. I plan to address it at some point, but my dealer was a satellite of company in Oregon and folded up shop a year ago - so no help there. I did find this uTube with the identical noise on a 3520H that the owner was able to resolve. He got permission from his dealer (still under warranty) to pull the valve cover and check/adjust valve clearance. He found one valve cap loose in the head! He fixed that and adjusted the valves - noise is gone. Nice video:

I plan on pulling the valve cover when the weather is warmer and the tractor is idle. Yes, I still have a year+ of warranty left, but no dealer nearby, so I'll fix it myself. If that fails to fix it then I'll check timing. Hope this helps.
That sounds a lot better! but still noisier than a yanmar. but I have heard air cooled diesel engines louder than the 1 in the video. it's a shame it wasn't assembled correctly from New. but it's a good feeling fixing something yourself!!!

/ rattleing engine #22  
Oh jeez that's shut it down immediately knocking! It's clearly valve train noise if you know what that sounds like.

He didn't show the adjuster being loose so the wear cap on the valve stem (a nice touch btw) must have come off somehow.

/ rattleing engine #23  
My 4520 has a tick when it first starts up, then it goes away as it warms up, I change the oil every 50 hrs, it has 195 hrs on it.

/ rattleing engine #24  
My 4520 has a tick when it first starts up, then it goes away as it warms up, I change the oil every 50 hrs, it has 195 hrs on it.
Wondering why the 50 hour interval? I think the manual says 250.

/ rattleing engine #25  
I change it at 50 cause thats when it starts to turn dark. Plus I have pallet of delo400 oil that I bought years ago for a song.
We change the trans fluid every 250 hrs.
My Yanmar FX 235 has over 2,200 hrs on the meter and I also changed that oil every 50 hrs. It doesn't smoke and it purrs like a kitten.
Im of the opinion that oil is cheap and engines are not....

/ rattleing engine #26  
All good. I was just wondering. 50 hours is really nothing at all.

Mine starts getting slightly dark at around 200 hours. I change it at 250 per the manual. Color doesn't really tell much, it's a diesel and it will get dark fast.

/ rattleing engine #27  
My T474 with a A2300N4 sounds like it has a cold the 1st 30 seconds on cold starts below 20F, when warmed up it is a really quiet engine.