Re-Bar ? -- Wrought Iron , or steel -- OR other OR a combination

/ Re-Bar ? -- Wrought Iron , or steel -- OR other OR a combination #1  

SandburRanch

Veteran Member
Tractor
NHtd75
Having worked with both Re-Bar and Steel i've convinced myself re-bar is more like wrought iron than steel according to Wikipedia etc. and , i'm presently too far way from my grinder to do a spark test . Which do the X-perts say ?

/ Re-Bar ? -- Wrought Iron , or steel -- OR other OR a combination #2  
Having worked with both Re-Bar and Steel i've convinced myself re-bar is more like wrought iron than steel according to Wikipedia etc. and , i'm presently too far way from my grinder to do a spark test . Which do the X-perts say ?
I’m no expert, but rebar is a soft bendable steel.

/ Re-Bar ? -- Wrought Iron , or steel -- OR other OR a combination #3  
I’m no expert, but rebar is a soft bendable steel.

We have a rebar factory I can hear on a quiet night. T posts, angle iron too. Made from European train rail. So it's grade 80 plus. It will snap when you try to bend it. Yes I have a rebar bender. I buy my bar at another place if I need to bend some. I've made good things with the high test bar.

/ Re-Bar ? -- Wrought Iron , or steel -- OR other OR a combination #4  
Low end rebar is pretty much junk/mild steel rolled with not much regard for quality....

BUT....

Good quality rebar will have information about its source and composition.

rebar-markings.png

/ Re-Bar ? -- Wrought Iron , or steel -- OR other OR a combination #6  
The qualities of rebar might change depending on how it is used.

/ Re-Bar ? -- Wrought Iron , or steel -- OR other OR a combination #7  
Several different grades of rebar. Some weldable some are not. Some are bendable, some are not. Check the markings as shown above & do some research if the project is critical.

/ Re-Bar ? -- Wrought Iron , or steel -- OR other OR a combination #8  

well yes Re-bar is generally more Iron then Steel but like other said it depends ... Id like to point out a more Iron oriented rebar doesn't make it poor in quality or junk rebar, it only has different property like elasticity and malleability so if you want material that will be shock absorbent then need Iron but if you need strength then you need steel and higher the strength the more brittle it become under flexion so Iron rebar are not junk they are just used in different application.

/ Re-Bar ? -- Wrought Iron , or steel -- OR other OR a combination #9  
We use a lot of Fiberglass re-bar when setting the pads for MRI machines...

No metal of any kind...

/ Re-Bar ? -- Wrought Iron , or steel -- OR other OR a combination
With the replies to this point , it looks to me re-bar can be more like wrought iron or more like steel so when i get back to the ranch i can do a spark test on a piece of #8 re-bar , a 3' long electric fence post and a T-iron fence post . That i used to make a cattle feeder with several years ago was real easy to weld . Too bad all steel doesn't weld that easy .

Thanks for the replies .