Re-Bar ? -- Wrought Iron , or steel -- OR other OR a combination

/ Re-Bar ? -- Wrought Iron , or steel -- OR other OR a combination
Today i ground a re-bar electric fence post and it was without a doubt ---steel .

/ Re-Bar ? -- Wrought Iron , or steel -- OR other OR a combination #12  
Low end rebar is pretty much junk/mild steel rolled with not much regard for quality....

BUT....

Good quality rebar will have information about its source and composition.

View attachment 736756
And Home Desperate, Lowers, the Local Lumber yard, etc., frequently have Grade 40 bar, which is suitable for slabs on grade, low stress footings, etc. Grade 30 bar used to be listed in charts but was unobtainable, and if you did find it took up so much of the forms, you couldn’t form it with anything greater than 3/8-inch aggregate.

/ Re-Bar ? -- Wrought Iron , or steel -- OR other OR a combination #13  
I’m just wondering is there some reason not to switch to the new, cheaper, stronger ,lighter and rust proof fiberglass rebar ?

/ Re-Bar ? -- Wrought Iron , or steel -- OR other OR a combination #14  
ALL ferrous rebar is made from steel. Steel is mostly iron. Tiny amounts of other elements are alloyed with the iron, and this is what makes iron steel. A spark test only gives you a very general idea about how much carbon is in the rebar. You really need to look at the markings to know what you have. And no rebar produced or sold in America today is wrought iron. In fact, I would be surprised if any wrought iron produced anywhere in the world is produced as rebar.
Eric