Re-lined snow blower impeller with HMWPE

/ Re-lined snow blower impeller with HMWPE #1  

robstaples

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota / L39 TLB, BX2680
Several years ago I lined the impeller and shute with slippery plastic, High molecular weight polypropylene. At the time , I bought a 4ft piece and had to heat weld two pieces to get a piece long enough for the impeller liner. It lasted 3years and recently broke and jammed. This time I bought a 4x8 and replaced with a continuous piece. I added screws thru the impeller side walls.
In 3years , I had only one jam up, when the snow was slush.
My blower had excess space , like 3/8? between the impeller and side walls. This plastic took up some of that space.

Attachments

• 7F8FEE60-57DD-4D5D-B296-7844E0CD8A22.jpeg
    7F8FEE60-57DD-4D5D-B296-7844E0CD8A22.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 311
  • 1B60C6AF-2488-4340-BA8B-5C4BFBE42807.jpeg
    1B60C6AF-2488-4340-BA8B-5C4BFBE42807.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 228
  • 989A40A0-8430-4D05-B95B-A3C8C1A2B5DA.jpeg
    989A40A0-8430-4D05-B95B-A3C8C1A2B5DA.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 192
  • B8DA15DC-1250-4B07-B258-7DBBFEFF7EEA.jpeg
    B8DA15DC-1250-4B07-B258-7DBBFEFF7EEA.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 174
  • 10BCB291-BAE4-4090-B7DA-EB561FD8A579.jpeg
    10BCB291-BAE4-4090-B7DA-EB561FD8A579.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 199
  • 370B5940-0AD0-4E79-A573-FC81E0B7D54D.jpeg
    370B5940-0AD0-4E79-A573-FC81E0B7D54D.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 206
   / Re-lined snow blower impeller with HMWPE #2  
Several years ago I lined the impeller and shute with slippery plastic, High molecular weight polypropylene [(Ultra?)HMW PE]. . . . It lasted 3years and recently broke and jammed. This time I bought a 4x8 and replaced with a continuous piece. I added screws thru the impeller side walls.

When bumperm described his installation of UHMW PE in a post starting on 10/03/2015 (82782 Snow Blower modifying) he cut slots for the mounting screws to accommodate thermal expansion and contraction of the UHMPE. He reported having experimented and found about 0.8% expansion between his freezer (-10ーF?) and hot tub (+100ーF?). Your photos appear to show your mounting screws going straight through the UHMWPE. Do you think your "broke and jammed" was buckling or drawing because of thermal changes your mounting system could not accommodate? In follow-on posts bumperm describe a failure where he had heat-shaped a sharp bend. Did yours fail at the weld?

/ Re-lined snow blower impeller with HMWPE
Correct, I have no slots for the screws. My first attempt was loose between the PE and the cylinder walls. When the impeller turned, it was rubbing on the PE. I did not think it was a concern, being slippery. Then last snow fall I drove into some ice, I think, that lifted the PE away from the wall and into the impeller. Before , only the ends were fastened allowing it to be lifted away from the wall. This time, I screwed it to the wall in 3 places plus the two ends. I might have expansion problems. Maybe that is why it rubbed more when cold.... contraction would shorten the radius.
Well, the 4x8 gave me some spare parts if this one fails. The Shute never showed signs of expansion, but I must admit, I don稚 look at the blower in detail in the summer.

Rereading. It had snow and ice between the PE and steel cylinder wall on the bottom , closest to the driveway . The force of impeller grabbed the white and folded and cracked the weld 90% and stalled the hydraulic motor. I was never happy with the weld and I had a sharp bend the first time, but it did not fail there. Attached a pic of the original liner.
Going out for a test tonight. We are getting about 5 inches.

Attachments

• DAE80693-F19E-490A-BDF9-A20E66330231.jpeg
    DAE80693-F19E-490A-BDF9-A20E66330231.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 172
   / Re-lined snow blower impeller with HMWPE #4  
HDPE is something I've got some expedience with. Do love that stuff! The problem is as Captain D describes and its the great difference in materials rate of expansion. In might be 4 times the difference between steel and plastic but I can't recall the exact numbers right now. For my project, I drilled large holes in the steel to allow the difference and attached the HPDE with bolts with larger washers and nylon crown nuts that were snug, but not tight. Hope that helps.

/ Re-lined snow blower impeller with HMWPE #5  
There are adhesives they use to hold HDPE to the bottom of aluminum boats, backed up by mechanical fasteners. Sorry I don't know a product name off the top of my head. Figured I'd mention it as a possibility in your application.

/ Re-lined snow blower impeller with HMWPE #6  
There are adhesives they use to hold HDPE to the bottom of aluminum boats, backed up by mechanical fasteners. Sorry I don't know a product name off the top of my head. Figured I'd mention it as a possibility in your application.

Something like 3M Body Glue? That's the painted over sorta semi-hard stuff holding bits of car unibodies together. It is tough as nails.

/ Re-lined snow blower impeller with HMWPE #8  
Seems like a lot of work, not inexpensive and something that could fail and cause a problem. This is my first year blowing snow with a tractor but used a big Ariens walk behind for a number of years. I never encountered a problem with snow clogging up the blower while in operation. If I did not cleanout the unit, I could get ice buildup that would jam the auger. PITA to clear out.

I have heard of using PAM but have not tried it yet. Might pickup a couple of cans of cheap generic spray oil at the Dollar store. Even if I had to use a can per snowfall, it would be a good enough solution for me. I used to use a Teflon spray on some of my reloading equipment to improve slickness.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/DuPont-T...=sem&msclkid=8b357373661f128c3a5d2d1155dfb4b7

or anyone tried this?

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Teflo...&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584276296625659&th=1

or this?

https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Sno...id=1583495125&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-2-catcorr

Sorry for hijacking the thread...will delete if you wish. Just trying to find an easier solution.

/ Re-lined snow blower impeller with HMWPE #9  
Seems like a lot of work, not inexpensive and something that could fail and cause a problem. This is my first year blowing snow with a tractor but used a big Ariens walk behind for a number of years. I never encountered a problem with snow clogging up the blower while in operation. If I did not cleanout the unit, I could get ice buildup that would jam the auger. PITA to clear out.

I have heard of using PAM but have not tried it yet. Might pickup a couple of cans of cheap generic spray oil at the Dollar store. Even if I had to use a can per snowfall, it would be a good enough solution for me. I used to use a Teflon spray on some of my reloading equipment to improve slickness.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/DuPont-T...=sem&msclkid=8b357373661f128c3a5d2d1155dfb4b7

or anyone tried this?

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Teflo...&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584276296625659&th=1

or this?

https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Sno...id=1583495125&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-2-catcorr

Sorry for hijacking the thread...will delete if you wish. Just trying to find an easier solution.

I致e tried sprays - Pam, the Dupont stuff, fluid film, etc. no real benefit as the spray gets removed from the abrasive action of the snow.

The only thing I do now is just clean it up in the summer and put a fresh coat if black Rustoleum enamel paint spray on the surfaces.

/ Re-lined snow blower impeller with HMWPE #10  
I致e tried sprays - Pam, the Dupont stuff, fluid film, etc. no real benefit as the spray gets removed from the abrasive action of the snow.

The only thing I do now is just clean it up in the summer and put a fresh coat if black Rustoleum enamel paint spray on the surfaces.

Thanks for the feedback. The secret might be not to let rust take hold and cause a spot for the snow to stick. Once the surface is rusted, painting would help and the OP's solution makes sense.