Reached the limit

/ Reached the limit #1  

Tul01

Gold Member
Tractor
2015 John Deere 5115M, 1928 and 1945 hand start John Deere D's,
I think I may have finally found the max ability for our 5740C when working.:):eek: Let me just say that growing up on a dairy farm we typically were "over tractored" on many of the balers, haybines etc we used so I'm not sure I ever witnessed this before. I started seeing the low oil pressure light coming on when I slowed down the engine while hot to 1000rpm or so until it cooled a bit. Took it in to the new local dealer. They were able to reproduce the problem and found we had lots of oil pressure when cool and at idle. They diagnosed oil too hot, breaking down. (I am using a conventional diesel oil 15w40) They found the rad to be plugged with debris.(I'm still not a believer on that) as I use a screen 100% of the time, but they cleaned it and it does run cooler and didn't have the problem anymore:). I was tearing up some fresh ground with a 200cm(6.5') tiller and was able to push it until the problem showed up again:mad:. This is just 2 hours after carefully blowing out the rad after my last use. Thinking I was plugged up again I popped the hood and still quite clean. It suddenly occurred to me perhaps I was working it too hard;), slowed down a speed and problem solved, no creeping temp guage, all better. Running out of summer here, but 2 things have occurred to me to test next summer, 1)different oil, 2) turn off A/C.
Unfortunately we will be out of warranty in the spring next year, but I feel much more confident that at least there is not a mechanical/design issue with our tractor.

Thanks, just posted for info.
Brent

Attachments

• tractor screen.jpg
    tractor screen.jpg
    502.3 KB · Views: 243
  • tractor radiator.jpg
    tractor radiator.jpg
    381 KB · Views: 205
   / Reached the limit #2  
The radiator itself seems to get clogged up over time, even with using the screen all the time. In our Texas heat, I've noticed that while mowing pastures, as the summer months go on, the temp gauge goes to hot quicker than it did at the start of the mowing. When you blew out your radiator, I assume they took off your A/C since the radiator can't really be completely blown out with it still on there.

/ Reached the limit
Yes they pulled it apart. I'm thinking the rad may be just a little on the small side for the work the powerplant is capable of. Did a couple more hours on it today with the tiller in some looser soil and it worked perfectly even though it was quite warm outside. I think the power of the motor may be leading me to push it too hard in the tough going.

/ Reached the limit #4  
You could try some "water wetter" it reduces coolant temp by reducing it's surface tension. Also synthetic motor oil should help it run cooler too. It dosen't break down as easilly as conventional oil, it's twice the money, but better quality. Oil pressure will be slighly lower with synthetic oil though, cause it's "slicker"

/ Reached the limit
The water wetter is a great idea. I have heard of that. Actually I guess we have almost 400hrs and 3yrs on it, probably wouldn't hurt to flush the cooling system anyway. Thanks

Brent

/ Reached the limit #6  
Also make sure when you replace the antifreeze that you put in something with the SCA additive. Something like Fleet charge at Tractor supply. I'd also flush it good with something as well. I was having the same issue with 2 different tractors here. A chinese made branded Farm Pro and a Ford 1900. Both have had overheating issues. Just get too hot when running hard. Cleaning the rads and keeping the cooling system in good condition help. These things are not totally maintenance free machines. Especially when you play in the dirt with them you gotta check them regularly. Clean them adjust them check them. Not brain surgery but not maint free either.

Steve

/ Reached the limit #7  
I think I may have finally found the max ability for our 5740C when working.:):eek: Let me just say that growing up on a dairy farm we typically were "over tractored" on many of the balers, haybines etc we used so I'm not sure I ever witnessed this before. I started seeing the low oil pressure light coming on when I slowed down the engine while hot to 1000rpm or so until it cooled a bit. Took it in to the new local dealer. They were able to reproduce the problem and found we had lots of oil pressure when cool and at idle. They diagnosed oil too hot, breaking down. (I am using a conventional diesel oil 15w40) They found the rad to be plugged with debris.(I'm still not a believer on that) as I use a screen 100% of the time, but they cleaned it and it does run cooler and didn't have the problem anymore:). I was tearing up some fresh ground with a 200cm(6.5') tiller and was able to push it until the problem showed up again:mad:. This is just 2 hours after carefully blowing out the rad after my last use. Thinking I was plugged up again I popped the hood and still quite clean. It suddenly occurred to me perhaps I was working it too hard;), slowed down a speed and problem solved, no creeping temp guage, all better. Running out of summer here, but 2 things have occurred to me to test next summer, 1)different oil, 2) turn off A/C.
Unfortunately we will be out of warranty in the spring next year, but I feel much more confident that at least there is not a mechanical/design issue with our tractor.

Thanks, just posted for info.
Brent

Another thing to check, since you seem to be running in dirty conditions, is the air filter. If it gets restricted, the fuel/air ratio increases at any given rpm which in a diesel means higher internal gas temperatures. That translates into more heat load for the radiator to dissipate.

/ Reached the limit
Thanks for the suggestions guys, the air cleaners are both newer and I blow them out daily. I actually don't think our conditions are much different than anywhere else. Routine maintenance is a big part of my daily use, its the way I grew up( all my dad's tractors had over 10 000 hrs before a newer one was considered). I did make a mistake assuming the screen on the rad was good enough. Seeing lots of moisture over the winter with the snowblower really probably caked in any leftover dust/dirt there. I now realize that the rad needs to be blown out at the end of every day with the compressor and I have an attachment I can use. I think mother nature may have solved the problems for us until next spring anyway. Wet, temps in the 40's, no warmer temps likely any more this year.;)

Brent