Ready for winter?

/ Ready for winter? #1  

Larry Caldwell

Tractor
Kubota l3130
What do you do to get ready for winter? Today is the equinox, and the days are getting shorter as fast as they can. In my idle moments, which I have a bunch of, I'm making a list of things I need to get done before 1 November.

- Waterproof my canvas jackets and grease my boots.
- Put new tires on my wife's rig.
- Service the generator(s) and make sure they start easily.
- Put high lift blades on the rider to make the leaf catcher work better.
- Inventory the battery supply and replace what got used last year.
- Do repair work on the foot bridge over the creek before it starts raining.
- Fill propane tanks and gas cans.
- Put the router on a UPS.
- Screw down some loose metal on the barn.
- Stock up on medications.
- Replenish the household cash.
- Get the chimney swept.

The big task - firewood in the wood shed - is already done.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff. Any ideas? What do you do to get ready for winter?

/ Ready for winter? #2  
I start mid October...
Clean ditches.
Clean culverts.
Tire chains on tractor.
PM plow for pickup.
PM snowblower.
Pm generator.
Snow tires on pickup.

/ Ready for winter? #4  
Oh Yeah!!!...I'll bet some old timers can tell about an unusally cold winter thaat froze everybodies butt off....seeans as how they didn't anticipate what could happen down yonder.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Ready for winter? #5  
We had the propane filled but it is still a bit early to go full "winter prep" mode. It is a busy time for us too but usually it is perfect weather to be out.

/ Ready for winter? #6  
Top off Pantry and Freezers.

/ Ready for winter? #7  
I'm not a Winter fan. But I'm "relatively" organized so I'm always ready. I don't burn wood anymore so my timber wood cutting duties are diminished to maintenance. One Son still burns wood and I've got enough trees on the ground to provide him. So I'll work up firewood whenever I feel like it.

I've got some winterizing duties such as sprayers that will be stored in the cold machine shed. I've got some road grader maintenance to do. I've got some small grass seeding projects to do.

My Son is building a new shop. It should be weathered in within the next 45 days. Then I'll spend the first part of the Winter wiring it and customizing the interior, shelves, etc.

Otherwise, I'm ready. :)

/ Ready for winter? #8  
What's that? Winter doesn't exist down here.
I have been thinking about your comment and here is my thought. I would REALLY miss the change of seasons we have here. I know it is extra work and snow/cold is not for everybody but I love the changes it offers.

/ Ready for winter? #9  
I have been thinking about your comment and here is my thought. I would REALLY miss the change of seasons we have here. I know it is extra work and snow/cold is not for everybody but I love the changes it offers.
I agree.

/ Ready for winter? #10  
Hmm,

Still about a month or 2 away for us.

But start up the lawn mower and run all the gas out of it.
Run all the gas out of the riding mower and put the battery tender on it.
Put gas IN the snow blower and test start it.
Take the brush mower off the tractor and put the box blade on.
Grab an IBC tote full of firewood and put it in the garage (with forks on the FEL).
Take the forks off the FEL and put the bucket on.
Winterize the 5th wheel (it's already done this year).
Dig out the outdoor timer and get it ready to plug the tractors block heater and oil pan and hydro sump into.

Oops, forgot, take the 5th wheel hitch out of the truck bed, put a pallet of sandbags in the bed, and put about 400-500 pounds of sandbags in the back of my company service van.

I think that's about it.