REAL Cowboys

/ REAL Cowboys #41  
I know that a lot of the stories are reminiscent but my understanding is that modern branding is done via liquid nitrogen.

At least that's how it's done for horses here in Aus.
Not an expert here, my dad was a brand inspector in Washington state USA. From what i remember from him, at the time. Hot brands, some are electric, propane/butane and some still us wood. Cold brands were problematic with cattle, probably because of application errors like not leaving on long enough. I'm guessing when branding horses, you probably not branding as many as compared to branding a pile of new calfs. But this is ancient information from my youth, so could be wrong now.

/ REAL Cowboys #42  
My cousin used to train mules. Said he would rather be on a mule than a horse.
hugs, Brandi
My Dad told me that a lot more people rode mules in real life, than you would ever believe from watching the movies. I know that "Festus" rode a mule, but I'm sure it was for comic relief. He (my Dad) said when he was little (during WWI) my Granddad had a beautiful matched pair of Clydesdale mules, and the Army conscripted them; they did pay him $800 which was a pretty penny in 1917.

/ REAL Cowboys #43  
I know that a lot of the stories are reminiscent but my understanding is that modern branding is done via liquid nitrogen.

At least that's how it's done for horses here in Aus.

Not here in Nevada...branding irons heated by wood fire predominates...although some do use propane.

/ REAL Cowboys #44  
Even back in the day (When i was working cattle 1980’s) , hot irons were used on cattle only. Nitrogen for horses. The nitrogen causes brands to be white ... shows up easy on horses. My donkey from blm land in nevada had a nitrogen brand. my QH mare out of oklahoma had a freeze brand. All my horses from Idaho have no brand.
funny thing. I had to get a brand inspector to give me paperwork for my 3 Fjord mares so I could travel to a show in wash and montana. He filled out the paperwork on one, took pictures. Then he looked at the other 2 and asked me why I cant use the same paperwork for all 3. No one can tell them apart.

/ REAL Cowboys #45  
Mules are very intelligent in that they will not do anything to hurt themselves, like falling off a cliff. In protecting themselves they are protecting their riders also.

I had a coon hunting mule in the 80s who was very smart. He was very short but if you led him to the back of a pickup truck he would jump right in. If your dogs treed about a mile deep in unfamiliar woods you did not even have to take a compass reading to find your way back. When you were ready to go back to the truck you just laid your reins on the mules neck and he would go back to the truck and never got lost.

/ REAL Cowboys #46  
I learned in high school ag class that freeze branding is less hurtful, overall, to the cow.
hugs, Brandi

/ REAL Cowboys #47  
One of my horses that came from Arkansas was hot branded. Our main 2 horses that we got over 30 years ago had their upper lips tattooed with their names. All horses we have had since have implanted microchips.

/ REAL Cowboys #48  
I have one horse that has a hot brand and a freeze brand...

/ REAL Cowboys #49  
In Ohio I never remembered seeing a branded cow
Not many do get branded east of the Mississippi,
we also do not have brand inspectors going to many of the auctions and slaughter houses checking brands and paperwork.
Most of the time they are needed as much in the east as no one grazes on Forest Service or BLM ground and we have more fencing.
Every once in a while it would be nice when one or two disappear.
Some cows will get tattoos in the ear and some vaccines will issue a metal ear tag.