Real time code reader

/ Real time code reader #1  

cmyoung2

Gold Member
Tractor
BCS 850, Kubota BX2230 w/FEL, mid mount mower, 41" tiller Kubota L3600 w/4-1FEL, Farmi winch
I am looking for a real time code reader that will work on a 99 F250 SD V10. I have a iPhone 4S and a macBook Pro if I could use either to read(maybe bluetooth?) Would also be nice if it would work on a 2011 Focus and an 08 Subaru. Truck has an intermediate miss, I think either a coil pack or a fuel injector, but it doesn't throw codes enough for the check engine light to come on, and I sure don't want to start changing coil packs. If it could reprogram or change performance levels that would be very nice also. Any recommendations or warnings?

/ Real time code reader #2  
I use the $5 FORscan app on my 4S and a WiFi ELM327 adapter. Works well but finding an intermittent miss may still prove challenging because you can't command the PCM to make changes, drop cylinders or do other tests that the high dollar tools and cables do.

Here is link to the ELM 327 that I used:
Docooler® WIFI Wireless OBD2 OBDII Car Auto Diagnostic Scanner Adapter Reader for iPhone4S/5 iPad4 iPad mini iOS PC https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DYOVXZ0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_3B.GwbQV2WRH8

I know of no way to use an apple computer with the FORscan program. It is PC only.

/ Real time code reader #3  
   / Real time code reader
Not interested in spending more than a new motor, but I don't mind spending money that works. Just don't know much about the electronic end, no problem doing the mech parts.
Using the BlueDriver on my 2014 F250 & 2003 Cadillac CTS. Lemur Monitors - BlueDriver - OBD2 Bluetooth Scan Tool for Apple and Android Smartphones and Tablets
But like HHR says, not likely you'll find a low budget device that will access the PCM for you to make adjustments/changes.
All of my devices are Apple and the BlueDriver works just fine. Non Apple stuff - you don't need that kind of negativity in your life! :laughing:

/ Real time code reader #5  
Not interested in spending more than a new motor, but I don't mind spending money that works. Just don't know much about the electronic end, no problem doing the mech parts.

If you're getting your new motors for $100 you need to tell the rest of us where that deal is. You'll get what you pay for. The advice here is worth exactly what you pay for it.

/ Real time code reader
Not sure where everyone is getting the idea low budget. Paid about $3K for my last motor, I am willing to spend money, just don't know what to look for. Just need some way to isolate missing while under load. Taking it to the shop everytime is getting old and costly, especially since I can do most of the work myself.

If you're getting your new motors for $100 you need to tell the rest of us where that deal is. You'll get what you pay for. The advice here is worth exactly what you pay for it.

/ Real time code reader #7  
SD's were not required to meet OBD-II at that time (not sure if they even are now - beyond light vehicle class). Regular scanners will not likely show you anything much for them. I got AutoEnginuity for my laptop. Not cheap, but covers everything, or as much as you are willing to spend for... Easy web search to find.

/ Real time code reader #8  
I just went through this issue with my 01 F150. It would miss intermittent and would not register with the PCM. You have a few options. See if you can get it to misfire more by driving it just right. Mine liked to miss between 40-55 mph. Just as the truck shifted into overdrive. I was able to get it to miss enough to throw a code.
The other option is to buy all coils online and just replace them all and new plugs, your already there so why not. You can get Mod motor coils for under 12.00 apiece online. Once one goes it seems like they all fail.
The most likely to fail are the coils up front. Seems like they take the most beating from water and cold / heat cycles.
You could buy all 10 coils and install yourself for the cost one trip to the shop.

Chuck.

/ Real time code reader #10  
I just went through this issue with my 01 F150. It would miss intermittent and would not register with the PCM. You have a few options. See if you can get it to misfire more by driving it just right. Mine liked to miss between 40-55 mph. Just as the truck shifted into overdrive. I was able to get it to miss enough to throw a code.
The other option is to buy all coils online and just replace them all and new plugs, your already there so why not. You can get Mod motor coils for under 12.00 apiece online. Once one goes it seems like they all fail.
The most likely to fail are the coils up front. Seems like they take the most beating from water and cold / heat cycles.
You could buy all 10 coils and install yourself for the cost one trip to the shop.

Chuck.

This is good advice. Either throw money at the diagnostics or throw money at parts.

On something high mileage replacing parts is not a bad idea. Your miss has about a 90% chance of being in the ignition system.