Realistic Size for Wheeled Wood Shed.

/ Realistic Size for Wheeled Wood Shed. #1  

RidgeHiker

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK5010 with KL5510 Loader & 72" Bucket. Kawasaki Mule Pro MX SE with 66" snow plow.
Hi Folks. I intend to build basically a small wood shed that I can fill by hand from my wood storage, transport to my deck with my loader forks, and push by hand about 14' to near the outside door to the living room where stove is. It will have a gently back sloping roof, will be closed on the bottom and 3 sides, will be open in the front, and will be exterior plywood. It will hold two rows of wood. Thinking of about 4' x 4' x 3' with four 4" or 5" heavy duty caster wheels. Based upon published weight of seasoned lodgepole pine and approximate weight of materials I am estimating around 880 lbs. This seems like it could be a lot to be pushing by hand on the deck for a retired guy but I have no reference to moving that kind of weight. Anyone of you that have wheeled wood boxes have ideas on what a realistic weight would be? May have to downsize.

/ Realistic Size for Wheeled Wood Shed. #2  
Go ahead and build it, load it, and place it on the deck. Then try moving it by hand. If too heavy, you could use a push pole or a cable and pulley to move it with the tractor when it is on the deck.

Bruce

/ Realistic Size for Wheeled Wood Shed. #3  
The movement will depend on wheel size/quality and the surface.

My Mahindra 1538 will lift a 4'x4' pallet that is stacked about 5' high. So I'm thinking with all the extra structure your size is close. Remember with a roof you won't be able to go right to the top so maybe go 4-5' high to leave some room at the top.

I built "skis" out of steel that I used to roll my camper into my garage. It weighed about 3500#. 4 casters on each ski for a total of 8 contact points. I played heck trying to get it to roll over asphalt (summer or winter)- I finally laid 1/2" OSB down to get it moving. Once it reached the concrete in the garage it was smooth sailing.

Last edited:
   / Realistic Size for Wheeled Wood Shed. #4  
What's the load rating of your deck? Will it handle the weight? Other than that, with casters it should move easily as long as the gaps in deck covering aren't too wide. I've pushed cars around that were sitting on car dollies. But that was on smooth concrete.

/ Realistic Size for Wheeled Wood Shed. #5  
I built 2 of these baskets...one with casters to roll from the front door of my shop back to the stove, the other (pictured) without that I set just inside our greenhouse next to the stove. The shop version, used 5" metal castors, and it rolls fine on a concrete floor. Size on these are 4x4x32" deep....1/3 cord.

On a wood deck, I'd use 8" rubber tires (maybe get the solid foam filled ones), and probably build a metal base to set your wood basket on...it would be stronger, and allow you to build multiple wood
baskets.

ry%3D400

/ Realistic Size for Wheeled Wood Shed. #6  
It would move along really well is you equipped it with an air cushion, as long as the gaps between the deck boards weren't too big. That would be a woodshed to show on YouTube!

/ Realistic Size for Wheeled Wood Shed. #7  
If you want to save some weight, build your wood shed and leave it on the porch. Make or buy a flat equipment dolly. You can drop a pallet of wood on the dolly on your deck, roll it right into your shed. That way you aren't moving the shed around, getting the casters covered in dirt, etc. Pallets are also easy to store your wood on, are free, and make good kindling. Good luck.

/ Realistic Size for Wheeled Wood Shed. #8  
Be careful that the wheels are rated for the weight, and then some extra. They would be easier to push that spindly wheels.

I made a rack 6' wide and 4' high and 24" deep. I put one row of 18" stacked nicely wood on it and it is plenty heavy to push around, and I am 6'2 and slightly obese. It is fairly easy with me and my wife pushing once it gets rolling but getting it rolling is the hardest part. I lift it 4' to the porch and transport it with a JD 3720 which is a 45HP medium CUT. I just have to be careful so I don't dump it out accidentally.

I would be a little happier if it was 5' high because as it doesn't have a roof on it, I overload it and then worry about wood falling over the top onto the tractor hood.

/ Realistic Size for Wheeled Wood Shed.
The movement will depend on wheel size/quality and the surface.

My Mahindra 1538 will lift a 4'x4' pallet that is stacked about 5' high. So I'm thinking with all the extra structure your size is close. Remember with a roof you won't be able to go right to the top so maybe go 4-5' high to leave some room at the top.

I built "skis" out of steel that I used to roll my camper into my garage. It weighed about 3500#. 4 casters on each ski for a total of 8 contact points. I played heck trying to get it to roll over asphalt (summer or winter)- I finally laid 1/2" OSB down to get it moving. Once it reached the concrete in the garage it was smooth sailing.

Wow 3500# is impressive to be able to move. Puts my 900# in a whole other perspective.

/ Realistic Size for Wheeled Wood Shed.
If you want to save some weight, build your wood shed and leave it on the porch. Make or buy a flat equipment dolly. You can drop a pallet of wood on the dolly on your deck, roll it right into your shed. That way you aren't moving the shed around, getting the casters covered in dirt, etc. Pallets are also easy to store your wood on, are free, and make good kindling. Good luck.

Good idea but want to keep it simpler if possible.