Really - D U M B - Engine Design !!

/ Really - D U M B - Engine Design !! #1  

CADplans

Elite Member
Tractor
584 IH 4WD
So, My 2016 Honda CR-V finally needed the oil change,,
Whip out the book,, to find the oil type and quantity.

It turns out, the engine requires 4.4 quarts, or 4.6 quarts with a filter.
Price wise, it only makes sense to buy oil in 5 quart containers,,, :confused2:

OK, So, now what am I supposed to do with 0.4 quarts of oil, left over from each oil change?
Oil is not sold in 0.6 quart increments.

Do I throw it away? That seems environmentally unfriendly!! :eek:

Heck, I paid for the oil, why not make the capacity larger (5 quarts) so that the oil at least gets used.

Oh, yea, the 4.4 or 4.6 quarts does not convert to liters,,

Should I just dump the 0.4 quart of extra oil in the engine, and just run the engine with a little extra?

DUMB!! :confused3:

/ Really - D U M B - Engine Design !! #2  

OK, So, now what am I supposed to do with 0.4 quarts of oil, left over from each oil change?

Heck, I paid for the oil, why not make the capacity larger (5 quarts) so that the oil at least gets used.

Should I just dump the 0.4 quart of extra oil in the engine, and just run the engine with a little extra?

No don't overfill, better to be a little under than any amount over. Save your .4 quarts for other engine uses like lawnmower or my favorite chainsaw bar oil.

Just be thankful that you can still do an oil change without specialized tools.
I have a 2013 CRV and even with the book, I liked to have never found the hood release lever. It is well hidden, had to get my flashlight and get on hands and knees looking under the dash for it, even then it took me several minutes and a couple more referrals to the book to find it.

/ Really - D U M B - Engine Design !! #3  
Very few engines come out perfectly "even" on quarts or liters. Dumb??? Eye of the beholder I suppose. Assembly lines and commercial oil change places, including dealerships, fill by using a hose and gun. They don't care. Personally? Maybe buy the oil by the gallon jug or 5 quart jug. You'll find a use for those few ounces of oil in a lawn tractor or something. No Big Deal. I've got more than one engine around her to maintain.

If you change the oil twice, you'll have liter of oil left over. That's about right for a push mower of 4 hp or similar. I don't throw away oil, ever.

/ Really - D U M B - Engine Design !! #5  

I thought oil came in drums. Dispensed with a pump into a measuring /pouring transfer vessel.
I guess I'm behind the times... ;-)

/ Really - D U M B - Engine Design !! #6  
I only buy my oil on sale in 5 litre jugs. I have lots of old 1 litre bottles and refill them. I have the convenience of bottles at about 1/2 of the price. About $18.00 for 5 litres instead of up to $6.00 or more for 1 litre.

/ Really - D U M B - Engine Design !! #7  
I thought oil came in drums. Dispensed with a pump into a measuring /pouring transfer vessel.
I guess I'm behind the times... ;-)

I'm really fortunate to have my oil "cube" from my farming days.

My fuel/oil supplier "leased" it to me with the provision I purchased the oil from them. The contract indicated total equipment cost to me would be $.01 at the end of three years at which point I would own it.

I've had it over 20 years now and they've never asked for the money so I guess technically it's still theirs. :)

IMG_3395.JPG

PS. I don't miss doing oil changes.

Terry

/ Really - D U M B - Engine Design !! #8  
With most good synthetics and quality filters, 10000-15000 mile intervals are normal.

Going extended changes, especially with any miles on the vehicle.....topping up the oil level is normal.

Save that oil for a mid-change level adjustment.

/ Really - D U M B - Engine Design !! #9  
just pour 16oz in another jug and put it on a shelf Or use it to oil some bolts are trailer floor , It amazes me what people find to complain about.

/ Really - D U M B - Engine Design !! #10  
just pour 16oz in another jug and put it on a shelf Or use it to oil some bolts are trailer floor , It amazes me what people find to complain about.

Ya, just save it. Maybe when you check your oil next time you'll be a little low. It would be a shame to buy another whole quart.