Really dislike Robin Subaru engines

/ Really dislike Robin Subaru engines #11  
When I was having my trouble I called Subaru, basically they said their engines are not well suited for PT application.

/ Really dislike Robin Subaru engines #12  
I am going to jump in here and say that you probably got a not so perfect engine.

I doubt that all Robin Subaru engines are bad.

There will be people that don't like Honda, Kohler, Kawasaki, or whatever, and rightly so if they don't perform as expected.

Could be any numbers of things, such as carb, weak ignition, valves, timing, spark gap, type of gas, vacuum in tank, etc.

Recommend tracking all items one by one and see if they are correct.

/ Really dislike Robin Subaru engines
JJ
I have put in many hours and spent a lot of money doing all of the things you have mentioned. In 2012 the engine was rebuilt by an authorized Robin Subaru shop outside of Baltimore. The guy who owned it spent more than the cost of a new engine. I saw the receipts.
Since I purchased it in February of 2013, I have had 3 reputable small engine mechanics troubleshoot it when I have problems like starting or shutting down when it gets hot. The valves have been adjusted 4 times. Carburetor has been rebuilt. Fuel pump has been replaced (new). Starter has been replaced (new). New Muffler. New spark plugs at least three times. Timing and gap all checked. I use premium Sunoco gas. New battery and cables. New gas filters, and shut off valve. New choke and throttle cables. New silicone heater. I have checked the compression. I had a mechanic check the timing.
I love this tractor when it is running and stays running. What I hate is the inconsistency with the Robin Subaru engine. Why will it start one day and not the next. I have taken notes on it when it starts good and start or try to start the same way each time. Why does it all of a sudden start backfiring after it has been running smoothly for days. Why all of a sudden does it drop power after it has been running good?
I have talked to Robin Subaru with most of these problems, and have been told more than once they don't like their engines in the the Power Trac tractors.
I was going to sell this tractor and buy a new 425. A man came to look at it but it wouldn't start. That was this Spring. It had been starting like a charm since the winter. Now it is hit or miss.

/ Really dislike Robin Subaru engines #14  
When I had trouble with my Kohler engines, I found the main problem was the solenoid valve on the bottom of the carb which was to prevent backfires.

Even with an inline filter, some scum would get in the solenoid fuel shut off plunger and let a small amount of gas through.

This also made it run rough.

I did not have much trouble starting, and if I did, a shot of starting fluid did the trick.

/ Really dislike Robin Subaru engines #15  
If I were you I would think I got a lemon, I have a 1998 pt 422 with over 2,300 hours on it and the only thing I have had to do is replace the ignition coils spark plugs and fuel filter. I have not performed all the recommended services such as adjusting valves. It starts fine in warm weather, but when down below 20 degrees it sometimes does not want to start.

/ Really dislike Robin Subaru engines #16  
Have you tried pure gas in it? The 93 octane works great in my gassers. No ethanol clogging things up.

/ Really dislike Robin Subaru engines #17  
Has anybody tried the new coils shown for start-ability. Seems like the -11 have been upgraded again when you search that part number to a -21

Attachments

• Robin engine coil start upgrade.pdf
    179.1 KB · Views: 131
   / Really dislike Robin Subaru engines #18  
For one don't use preium gas. Preium gas is for engines with high compression. Which means more of a delayed spark not a faster spark which most people think.

/ Really dislike Robin Subaru engines
What do you suggest to use for gas?

/ Really dislike Robin Subaru engines #20  
The spark happens at the same time. That is a function of basic ignition timing. The explosion of gasoline and air is supposed to be caused by the spark plug's spark. Sometimes the gas/air mixture ignites just by compression, kind of like diesel does. In a gas engine that is known as knocking. Not a good thing. Higher octane/lower heptane fuel resists knocking. Higher compression engines tends to knock more than a low compression engine. Dirty combustion chambers may also cause more knock than a clean one. Anyhow, the explosion from a high heptane fuel happens easier than one from a high octane fuel. Fact or Fiction?: Premium Gasoline Delivers Premium Benefits to Your Car - Scientific American Another article Regular or Premium? - Feature - Car and Driver

The issue is that in some states, the premium high octane fuel does not have alcohol in it. Achohol and carbs do not usually play well together even if a carb says up to 10% alchohol.