Really dislike Robin Subaru engines

/ Really dislike Robin Subaru engines #21  
You are right Jim. I should have not said spark. The spark is the same but rather I should have said that premium fuel is slower burning for high compression engines. I use regular fuel in all my engines except one which requires premium.

/ Really dislike Robin Subaru engines #22  
I don't think the hard starting problem is the hydraulic tank. If you google Robin engine hard start, you will see service updates for their engines used in welders. A service update is the -11 part number coils. I put a hair dryer on the heads and it will start up. I'm wondering if the new coils will make the hair dryer UN-necessary.

/ Really dislike Robin Subaru engines #23  
Ernemats, does the 1998 PT have a Robin Subaru or a Kohler? Just curious, because I'm trying to hear positive things about the Subaru engines:laughing:
If I were you I would think I got a lemon, I have a 1998 pt 422 with over 2,300 hours on it and the only thing I have had to do is replace the ignition coils spark plugs and fuel filter. I have not performed all the recommended services such as adjusting valves. It starts fine in warm weather, but when down below 20 degrees it sometimes does not want to start.

/ Really dislike Robin Subaru engines #24  
I'm pretty sure he has a Robin. Best starting one on TBN. :thumbsup:

/ Really dislike Robin Subaru engines #25  
My 422 has a Subaru engine it has been good for me, I also have a generator with a Subaru engine and I like it also, the only problem with it is it does use a little oil, I don't know if it is common for generators to use some oil due to their constant running at high rpm's.

/ Really dislike Robin Subaru engines #26  
You are right Jim. I should have not said spark. The spark is the same but rather I should have said that premium fuel is slower burning for high compression engines. I use regular fuel in all my engines except one which requires premium.

double edged sword.

higher octane, = harder to ignite.. but also less heat for air cooled engines.

tough choice..

/ Really dislike Robin Subaru engines
Duane, If you call Terry at Power Trac and buy the silicone heater for the hydraulic tank you will never need to heat the heads. When I use the heater in 10 degree weather she fires right up. My beef with the Robin engines is not starting, backfiring while running and vapor locks in the summer months.

/ Really dislike Robin Subaru engines #28  
Thats good to hear! I haven't had any problems with mine so far, but I put the fan and different muffler/header pipe on when I first bought it. It has 54 hrs on it. Since your talking about a generator, I have a 13,500 watt Ventrac generator that I'm thinking about putting a hydraulic motor on to run it with the PT. I know it will probably generate about half of the electricity since converting to hydraulic from belt drive. I'm going to make a forum on it in the future to see what everyone thinks?
My 422 has a Subaru engine it has been good for me, I also have a generator with a Subaru engine and I like it also, the only problem with it is it does use a little oil, I don't know if it is common for generators to use some oil due to their constant running at high rpm's.

/ Really dislike Robin Subaru engines #29  
Thats good to hear! I haven't had any problems with mine so far, but I put the fan and different muffler/header pipe on when I first bought it. It has 54 hrs on it. Since your talking about a generator, I have a 13,500 watt Ventrac generator that I'm thinking about putting a hydraulic motor on to run it with the PT. I know it will probably generate about half of the electricity since converting to hydraulic from belt drive. I'm going to make a forum on it in the future to see what everyone thinks?

Good,luck withy our project, I think for field use it may be a handy setup to run if off the PT, for steady use or whole,house use I think you may be a little disappointed depending on what your demands are..as long as you don't as for over 5000 watts you should be ok.Hydraulic power isn't as constant as a belt or direct drive,I'd expect to have larger voltage fluctuations making keeping 60HZ difficult if loads are changing a lot.

/ Really dislike Robin Subaru engines #30  

For what its worth, I think we (the Power Trac forum at large) calculated the theoretical potential HP at the main PTO of a PT425 at something a tad less than 14HP. You should think about Raw Dodge's comments about fluctuations and what you'd get out of the PTO on the Power Trac. From my own generator, it has a governor. When the load is high, it opens the throttle to boost the gas, to maintain the known RPM that will generate 120V. There's no meter or electronics that control the engine speed. Its just a set throttle of either OFF or ON at about 3600RPM set at the factory.

Your Ventrac generator is belt driven, correct? How do you set the engine RPM for proper voltage? Is there a voltage meter and you increase the throttle until you get your 120V and the engine just holds there? I'd suspect if you drove it off of the PT's hydraulics, you'd just do the same thing. Since a fluid is not compressible and belts can slip, I'd think you'd get more consistent power with hydraulics than belts. But you're going to get substantial HP loss of available power from the hydraulics VS the belt.

The 13,000 watt generators I've seen recently are running 20+HP engines and those are direct drive. You'll never get that out of the PT425 hydraulic PTO.

Using the calculator at this website and plugging in the rated PT425 main PTO pump pressure of 2500PSI and flow of 8GPM you get about 14HP

Hydraulic Calculations | Fluid Power | Advanced Fluid Systems

(2500PSI X 8GPM) / (1714 X 85%) = 13.73HP

For more on what the 1714 is and why 85% efficiency.... OUCH, my brain hurts! :laughing:

1 horse power = 33000 foot-pounds per minute (by definition)

1 US gallon = 231 cubic inch (by definition)

1 psi = 1 pound per square inch (by definition)

In the equation

HP=kΔPF
where F = flow rate in gallons per minute, ΔP is pressure difference in psi, and HP is power in HP, you need a conversion factor. Doing everything in inches:

HP33000∗12∗inch−pounds/min=kΔPpounds/in2flow231inch3/min
from which it follows that

k=23133000∗12≈11714
In other words, "in plain English that a 9th grader can understand, and yet be correct and true to its purpose and place in life to satisfy seasoned physicists":

1714 represents the numerical scale factor needed to obtain pump power in HP given pressure in units of psi and flow rate in gallons per minute. It is not an exact number - only approximate."