Really good pancake and waffle syrup.

/ Really good pancake and waffle syrup. #31  
   / Really good pancake and waffle syrup. #32  
My pure maple syrup preference is beyond dark, when the sap is turning cloudy and about to start filling bulk drums . Has a almost burnt taste and a lingering after taste. It makes the early stuff have almost no flavor. You haven't felt a sugar high until you have drank syrup all day long. I still occasionally take a jar out of fridge and drink. If you swish it around like mouthwash it tastes like maple candy. I can't imagine not having the real stuff.

/ Really good pancake and waffle syrup. #33  
Living in the northern hardwoods with 5 different maple tree varieties and of course, the sugar ones, why would someone not eat real maple syrup? :unsure:
My father always tapped our own trees and made syrup, and we wouldn't have anything else (still won't for that matter). Had some city cousins who'd always had Aunt Jemima/Vermont Maid, etc. when we were kids and had no use for the real thing. 😲

A bit off-topic, but how do you pronounce syrup? Around here it's SEER-up, but an old childhood friend who's lived in Fla. for the last 50 years or so calls it surp.

/ Really good pancake and waffle syrup. #34  
My father always tapped our own trees and made syrup, and we wouldn't have anything else (still won't for that matter). Had some city cousins who'd always had Aunt Jemima/Vermont Maid, etc. when we were kids and had no use for the real thing. 😲

A bit off-topic, but how do you pronounce syrup? Around here it's SEER-up, but an old childhood friend who's lived in Fla. for the last 50 years or so calls it surp.
Neither. Sur-up

/ Really good pancake and waffle syrup. #35  
Sirup here

/ Really good pancake and waffle syrup.
I am the OP. I am really surprised that so many folks seemed to miss the point, unless maple syrup is the only syrup they would ever use. I like maple syrup. I like the syrup I make. I like ginger syrup. I like sweet chili syrup. I like variety. It seems as if, for lots of folks, it's maple syrup, just maple syrup, nothing else considered. Everything else a poor substitute. I wasn't comparing, I was adding, and thought folks would be interested.
Eric

Last edited:
   / Really good pancake and waffle syrup. #37  
I am the OP. I am really surprised that so many folks seemed to miss the point, unless maple syrup is the only syrup they would ever use. I like maple syrup. I like the syrup I make. I like ginger syrup. I like sweet chili syrup. I like variety. It seems as if, for lots of folks, it's maple syrup, just maple syrup, nothing else considered. Everything else a poor substitute. I wasn't comparing, I was adding, and thought folks would be interested.
Eric
I think it is a regional and what you grew up with thing. I have read articles on sorghum syrup and would try it but not up here. I would want it from the region it is made and fresh. Ex wife grew up with syrup made on kitchen stove with brown sugar and thought it was the best. Far from it. Variety is good but convincing to try variety is something else. And yes I did enjoy reading about your syrup.

/ Really good pancake and waffle syrup. #38  
Eric
You might eat more waffles and pancakes than most people do. :ROFLMAO:

/ Really good pancake and waffle syrup. #39  
Eric
I think it is a regional and what you grew up with thing. I have read articles on sorghum syrup and would try it but not up here. I would want it from the region it is made and fresh.
LHF2019 hit the nail on the head. As with many favorite dishes a lot of these things are regional, and sometimes we don't realize that.
I've never heard of ginger or sorghum syrup (not even sure what sorghum is), maple (whether real or fake) is pretty much it around here. Maybe blueberry syrup at a chain pancake place, but don't know of anyone who uses it at home.
Even if it's something that doesn't sound very appealing, I for one find it interesting to read about some of these regional favorites...maybe something to try if I'm ever in that part of the country.

/ Really good pancake and waffle syrup.
LHF2019 hit the nail on the head. As with many favorite dishes a lot of these things are regional, and sometimes we don't realize that.
I've never heard of ginger or sorghum syrup (not even sure what sorghum is), maple (whether real or fake) is pretty much it around here. Maybe blueberry syrup at a chain pancake place, but don't know of anyone who uses it at home.
Even if it's something that doesn't sound very appealing, I for one find it interesting to read about some of these regional favorites...if nothing else something to try if I'm ever in that part of the country.
I make blueberry and blackberry syrups now and then. Easy and so good.
Eric