Really good small tire changer...

/ Really good small tire changer... #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
I had a flat on my Cub RZT50 on the front and thought here I go again, fighting with it for hours. The last small tire I took to a shop and they had a tool similar to this one from Harbor Freight. Instead of using the base you mount to the workbench I clamped it in a vice. I used a little dish detergent on tire rim.
It worked so easy I took tire on & off a few times. For $46 to me it's well worth the no hassle.
My garage is a mess.
20211001_172607.jpg
20211001_172631.jpg

/ Really good small tire changer... #4  
Last small lawn tractor tire I changed I just clamped the hub of the wheel in the vise, soaped both beads, started the bead, placed vise grips on the bead of the wheel, and spun the tire on. After doing the bottom I pushed the top bead on and repeated. Worked like a charm.

/ Really good small tire changer... #5  
I broke down last fall and put new tires on my old walk behind snow blower. The old tires came off ok, but man, those new tires would NOT go on the rims. After square dancing with them around my work bench for half a day, I gave up and brought them to a tire shop in town. They had a heck of a time getting them on (so naturally I felt better). They even had the air blaster nozzle that dumps high pressure air in through the side of the bead to "blast" the tire onto the rim. Took them hours to get them on. I tipped the kid $20 on top of the bill for how much a pain in the butt they were.

/ Really good small tire changer... #7  
I broke down last fall and put new tires on my old walk behind snow blower. The old tires came off ok, but man, those new tires would NOT go on the rims. After square dancing with them around my work bench for half a day, I gave up and brought them to a tire shop in town. They had a heck of a time getting them on (so naturally I felt better). They even had the air blaster nozzle that dumps high pressure air in through the side of the bead to "blast" the tire onto the rim. Took them hours to get them on. I tipped the kid $20 on top of the bill for how much a pain in the butt they were.
Let me guess, the tires were made in China.

Had the same problem putting a new front tire on a customers 0-turn. Low cost China tire just never did fit right. Had a heck of a time just getting the bead over the rim, but like you indicated, you can not fully seat the bead on the rim.

Several months later, the 0-turn is back, now the other front tire is shot. I told the guy, I will not try to put a Chinese tire on there again. I talked him into buying one of those solid tires. The never go flat. He is happy with the choice. Yes it cost more, but it is well worth the extra money.

/ Really good small tire changer... #8  
I tried changing one of the small tires without the specialty tools. Finally gave up and bought the Harbor Freight changer. Made it so much easier!!! I also clamped mine in a vise instead of using the bench top bracket. Worked fine until I got part way around and the torque on the bar caused the whole assembly to slip in the vise. I'm going to make a place for the bench mount 'cause it'll be even easier.

/ Really good small tire changer... #9  
I had a flat on my Cub RZT50 on the front and thought here I go again, fighting with it for hours. The last small tire I took to a shop and they had a tool similar to this one from Harbor Freight. Instead of using the base you mount to the workbench I clamped it in a vice. I used a little dish detergent on tire rim.
It worked so easy I took tire on & off a few times. For $46 to me it's well worth the no hassle.
My garage is a mess.View attachment 715336View attachment 715337
I see you are on here (and there as well), so am I actually.

/ Really good small tire changer... #10  
Thanks for sharing, I need one of those