really need your advice if you have ever had an insect infestation !!!

/ really need your advice if you have ever had an insect infestation !!! #1  

tstex

Gold Member
Tractor
1997 Kubota M5400S
I'm posting this here bc you guys have never failed me and I [my daughter] has a huge problem....

My daughter and her 3 roommates [all 1 yr just out of college] have rented an older pier & beam home that had an addition w a solid foundation to make it 4 bedrooms. Because the crawl-space to the pier & beam was not secured, an animal entered and climbed up into the walls of my daughters bathroom closet. She heard it scratching in the walls so she reported it to the landlord.

It was discovered that there was a sm water leak in the wall and the animal was seeking both water and prob shelter. This was the during a drought in austin tx this summer, w 30 days of straight 100+ temps and no rain. Once the wall was opened, the leak was found and fixed. The repair person said to leave the wall open until it dried out. This is when a massive flea infestation took place. If you went into the house, your white socks turned black in a matter of seconds.

I called their landlord and told him the house was uninhabitable and you needed to find a place for them to stay. He begrudgingly ok'ed a rented an ABnB for a week, whicg turned to 3 weeks and 3 diff places. An extermination company came and did 2 diff flea treatments 2 wks apart. After spraying/laying powders, using growth reg hormones, inside and out. Then 2 weeks later, the fleas were still there. My daughter and her roommates came 2-4 times per day to vacuum up any and all eggs, larvae, etc. I am going to skip forward bc this would take too long. They collectively logged over 130 hrs of vacuuming.

After hiring another company bc the first one did not cut it, 82 days later my daughter found another flea on the flea trap in her room. She has not been able to sleep in her room in over 3+ months. The handyman, when trying to work on closing crawlspace and other, was bitten countless times on his back, neck, legs, etc. My daughter had to buy a hazmat suit to go inside the house to vacuum each time, they all did, She's spent over $600 on supplies, recleaning her things, which are all in black plastic bags. This is the second time of cleaning.

In order not to make this a novel, I am seeking advice for anyone that has experienced a really bad flea infestation, what you did to rectify? More so if you were in a rental house or a pier & beam house. It's really taken a toll on her especially, bc her room has had the most and continued issues. Pls let me know what questions you have and sorry for the long post. I thank you in earnest for any & all advice...nothing is more personal than when it comes to your immediate family. thank you very much.

/ really need your advice if you have ever had an insect infestation !!! #3  
check domyown pest control .com Pro grade insecticides & any number of species. Fleas can run months if you don't break the cycle & sounds like there is probably still a rat? problem bringing in new fleas. I've had decent luck with the residue leaving foggers but you need to cover things that might not react well to the oily residue. maybe a combination of Residue/no residue foggers & Talstar around the perimeter with a good dose in the walls/crawl space?

/ really need your advice if you have ever had an insect infestation !!! #4  
WOW! Sounds awful! I hope they are able to find a solution soon.

/ really need your advice if you have ever had an insect infestation !!! #5  
second the idea to find another place. after all, it's rental & not worth the personal stress dealing w/someone else's problem & paying for it at the same time. good luck

/ really need your advice if you have ever had an insect infestation !!! #6  
Ok. Mr. Know-it-all to the rescue!
All kidding aside this works. My best friend rented a house after college and a fellow living there had dogs with fleas. It was so bad rooms looked "foggy" about a foot down.
Here's what she needs: 1) a shallow pan 2) dish detergent 3) a desk lamp. Best is those flexible ones you can adjust, usually halogen.
Pan you get at dollar stores...plastic, aluminum, doesn't matter you want large but shallow (18"+ across, about an inch or two deep).
Place pan in center of room (a pan in each room except bedroom even better). Fill a third full of water. Slowly pour in dish detergent...slowly, no bubbles. Just maybe an ounce or two. This covers water making a film. Desk light positioned over center of pan, about 6 inches light to liquid.
Of course exercise safety, light doesn't get too hot and/or can tip into water.
Now! Turn on light at night. As people go to bed. You want bedroom pitch dark.
Fleas are attracted to light and jump in...but they can't get out.
Report back how it works out!

/ really need your advice if you have ever had an insect infestation !!! #7  
I saw this video about a flea outbreak in a basement. One of the comments said they were not blood sucking fleas but were springtails that feed on mold. With the water leak in the wall and the probable issue with mold, I wonder if that is is the type of flea you have. ????

/ really need your advice if you have ever had an insect infestation !!! #8  
Jeezers it's hopeless. By this time they have enough legal ammo to break the lease and perhaps sue for damages. Get them the heck out of there, as it's a health hazard.

The only hope for the house itself is a full tent and fumigate, maybe multiple times due to the life cycle.

/ really need your advice if you have ever had an insect infestation !!! #9  
My wife before we were married had a cat and battled fleas, my son did also. It can be very difficult to get rid of them. Both times the exterminators had to come back multiple times and then you have to keep the cat free of them also. It can be a real problem. My wife said the fleas in a home will be in different life stages and the first extermination won’t get them.