Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning
Some dealer shops are very good. Others not so much. And error codes can always be a little cryptic to interpret.

Back to your original post.

It is quite possible those are the same error codes that your daughter had when she went to the dealer.

So, fix the vacuum leak first then evaluate the idle speed performance.

The dealer may have done the work backwards, fix the idle speed, and ignore the vacuum leak.

And thus, they likely installed a part she didn't actually need.

I doubt you'll be able to claw back the payment.

Hopefully this afternoon her car will be fixed right.
Thanks Clifford....A few clarifications.

My daughter received absolutely nothing from the dealer except a cryptic invoice. There was zero reports or anything from dealer. After she drove hm from college [where the dealership is], I took the car the next day to a local shop when it showed, ck-engine. This local shop produced the two error codes as noted. It was towards the end of the day so they could not fix anything on Saturday.

Next morning I found a hose that was not connected, which I suspect the dealer tech did when he was poking around. Then later Sunday when she was going back to school is when the car cratered and I took it to the shop where it is now. They seem to be on top of their game: located problem and ordering parts to fix today.

As far as Jeep Wranglers go [her's a 2018], in the last 6-9 mo's, this thing is falling apart**. In doing a search on Jeep Wranglers and major problems, the website was inundated with issues, many that are factory defects. Yet, the word from Chrysler: "if no one is dying from it, it's not going to be recalled".

We're pretty much done w Chrysler for good....**,note, we have maintained the car to dealer spec's and it still is failing...

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #52  
i have noticed in my region post covid: LOTS of new Jeeps of all sorts on the road.
their reliability reputation apparently has not affected sales. being a college town, most are prob mall cruisers.
regards, all the best for the vehicle & daughter at school

Last edited:
   / Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #53  
You aren’t going to get any satisfaction from the dealer who first worked on it so I wouldn’t go down that road. I’m hopeful your latest shop will fix it but I’m also not going to be surprised if the engine light doesn’t come back on.

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #54  
They should acknowledge the cash payment. They wouldn't have given her the keys if she hadn't paid,

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #55  
i have noticed in my region post covid: LOTS of new Jeeps of all sorts on the road.
their reliability reputation apparently has not affected sales. being a college town, most are prob mall cruisers.
regards, all the best for the vehicle & daughter at school
I’ve had 3 Jeeps and getting ready to buy my fourth. I’ve had very few reliability issues with them. And I’ve sold them with 200-300K miles still running good. I love them. But I’ve never owned a Grand Cherokee. Those always seem to be the models that have issues.

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #56  
Unless she bought the vehicle last weekend, then there was a reason why it was taken to the dealership in the first place.

Get your ducks in a row. Then once the issue is resolved, post a review of both shops on every review website you can find. And start hunting for a new service place near where your daughter is.

Unfortunately there has been a long held belief that women get shafted with everything to do with cars and car maintenance. And a young 18 to 25 year old likely would be considered the perfect mark.

Get at least a cheap OBDII reader at each location you have a vehicle.

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #57  
I’ve had 3 Jeeps and getting ready to buy my fourth. I’ve had very few reliability issues with them. And I’ve sold them with 200-300K miles still running good. I love them. But I’ve never owned a Grand Cherokee. Those always seem to be the models that have issues.
agree, reliability differs within various models of a given make. i'm also guessing your own maintenance schedule is probably better than most, esp if you're the original owner, etc. best regards

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #58  
My 2002 WranglerX with 4.0L and such has been a sweetheart...has 121,000 mile and only code it throws is when I don't get gas cap on tight....

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #59  
My 2002 WranglerX with 4.0L and such has been a sweetheart...has 121,000 mile and only code it throws is when I don't get gas cap on tight....
LOL. Every Jeep I’ve had was sensitive about the gas cap and throws a code if it’s loose. No biggie.

/ Really need your advice whether my daughters car is safe to drive or not as she needs to return to school later this morning #60  
LOL. Every Jeep I’ve had was sensitive about the gas cap and throws a code if it’s loose. No biggie.
interesting. how do you reset? on my old school '92 Toyota PU each ign cycle resets. now...all those sensors. regards