*REALLY* testing my RTV's pulling power..

/ *REALLY* testing my RTV's pulling power.. #1  

flyingn

Silver Member
*REALLY* testing my RTV\'s pulling power..

the trans is really working a LOT better now that Im using the parking brake more but today I reall y gave it workout... I pulled a 3200 lb trailer with a tongue weight of 315 lbs UP a long fairly steep hill with 2 people about the RTV. It made it all the way up:).. On the flat I could pull this trailer easy in medium gear and I did not even know I was pulling anything..
Boy, Kubota underates these big time:)

Frank

/ *REALLY* testing my RTV's pulling power.. #2  
Re: *REALLY* testing my RTV\'s pulling power..

Frank

Glad to hear the parking brake has (so far) has fixed your shifting problem.
The hills I have to contend with are steep enough that I can't even get up them in Medium range but glad to hear that it can tow that amount.

Brian

/ *REALLY* testing my RTV's pulling power.. #3  

I'm about to pull the trigger and put an RTV on order but I have one big concern... that is it's ability to traverse the hills on my property. No dealer has one in stock out here so there is no chance of trying one out on my property before ordering it.

I currently use a Kawasaki Prairie 650 and always keep it in 4wd and low range. Low will take me anywhere I want to go and probably 40mph if I needed to go that fast. I probably average 5 to 10mph and start and stop the engine often. Power has never been a problem with the ATV, although it's light weight (600 lbs) limits its uphill pulling power.

With the RTV, how fast does it go in each gear and what type of incline should I expect it to climb with reasonable speed? If it is the same as my B7800 tractor, low range would be way too slow on some of my long, steep, hills. The tractor can make it up some roads only by using differential lock... but it usually makes it in medium range.

I drive about 2 miles of very steep roads everyday checking irrigation lines, spraying weeds, etc. Getting on and off the ATV becomes difficult because you need to swing a leg over the gas tank each time. The RTV seems like the perfect machine for me if it can manage the hills and has a good parking brake.

/ *REALLY* testing my RTV's pulling power.. #4  

I have a B7800 and some hills. The wife usually drives the RTV in Medium gear while traveling the same paths I take in low gear with the B7800.

The RTV is a lot more stable and comfortable on my property than the tractor.

On the roads, well the B just cannot go that fast. And 25mph is
way too fast for me....

-HTH
-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ *REALLY* testing my RTV's pulling power..

I believe that the RTV's low is good for 11 mph, med 18 and high 25 mph. High has trouble pulling steep hills but med can do most any hill that I have climbed. And the parking brake is STRONG. Espicially with the hydrostatic trans. On a hill with the 3200lb trailer hooked up the parking brake held everything easy.. Im sure th eRTV will be perfect for your application

Frank

/ *REALLY* testing my RTV's pulling power.. #6  

OK... I'm convinced. Ordering today.

Thanks.

/ *REALLY* testing my RTV's pulling power.. #7  

Here is my RTV with about 900 pounds of wood in the back and towing my log splitter. It had no problem at all pulling this load out of the woods and up a few fairly steep hills. I can honestly say that I couldn't hardly tell that I had any load on it.

Attachments

• 474198-Picture 369.jpg
    474198-Picture 369.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 339
   / *REALLY* testing my RTV's pulling power.. #8  

Dargo,

Nice yard!!! No roof on your machine?

Hmmm. I might be overloading my box. I keep my tailgate down and put 3 ranks of wood in it. Using 16" logs, I put 18 of them in. What do you think, that's about 1500-1800#? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif They stack to about 1/2 way up the cage. (2.5' from bottom of box) I noticed my steering feels different but haven't had any problems hauling/dumping.

Brian