Rear ballast on 3 point hitch or backhoe subframe?

/ Rear ballast on 3 point hitch or backhoe subframe? #1  

DaveMueller

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800
I'm starting on my rear ballast box and was wondering if it would be better to make it fit the BH subframe instead of subjecting the 3 point hitch to the constant strain of carrying a few (600-800?) pounds all the time.

Thanks for the comments.
Dave

/ Rear ballast on 3 point hitch or backhoe subframe? #2  
I would think the BH subframe would hold up better than the 3 point..... a lot less stress on the BH mounts. How would you be able to get it on or off easily?

/ Rear ballast on 3 point hitch or backhoe subframe? #3  
Depends on how you "connect" it ...My choice was to make it comparable with my quick hitch for easiest attach and deattach..... A lot depends on how much motions you are willing to go through with what ever type of "connect" you choose when putting it on and taking it off.... Trying to get alignment of tractor and ballast box will probably be simpler with 3PH as you can move attachment point up or down to accommodate alignment....

Dale

/ Rear ballast on 3 point hitch or backhoe subframe?
I was thinking of making it pivot on and off just like the BH (BH77), using the 3PH to raise and lower it onto casters.
My weights are a stack of 1/2" thick, 50 pound steel plates. If I can't figure out a way to make it pivot & pin, emptying the carrier to install/remove it won't be too much of a hassle for the few times a year I need it.
I'm going to mock it up in plywood before I get the welder out.

/ Rear ballast on 3 point hitch or backhoe subframe? #5  
Yes, the subframe would be able to handle the stress of the counter weight better. The farther the weight is away from the tractor, without being too cumbersome, is ideal. If you mount 3, trailer jacks, one on the back and two up between the weights and the tractor. You can attach the counter weight without installing the 3ph arms. (just use the trailer jacks). Let us know what you end up with.... :thumbsup:

/ Rear ballast on 3 point hitch or backhoe subframe? #6  
Ballast!
The very concept of BALLAST indicates the the further the ballast is from the fulcrum, the less weight required to create ballast. Thus 600 lbs needed ballast at the end of the lower lift arms, will be much greater at the BH subframe mount. So while yes the BH mount will indeed handle weight better, it will also require substantial more weight to obtain the ballast effect at the end of the lift arms.
My generation learned this lesson on the school playground with the seesaw.

/ Rear ballast on 3 point hitch or backhoe subframe? #7  
Driving on uneven ground will want to shift the weight side to side. On the 3pt, you will want the stabilizers tight while the sub frame mount should be solid.

/ Rear ballast on 3 point hitch or backhoe subframe? #8  
Driving on uneven ground will want to shift the weight side to side. On the 3pt, you will want the stabilizers tight while the sub frame mount should be solid.

I would make it 3PH mount for convenience in mounting/dismounting and to get a greater moment arm with the weight's cg further from the rear axle I have a JD about the same size as your Kubota and park the counterweight on a plate of steel on two steel rods (my old horsehoe pins) out in the yard. I back into it and can roll it a bit for alignment. The counterweight itself is about 750 pounds and I made a rack on its rear to hang suitcase weights, so it can be up to 1200 pounds. It has served me well over the years lifting heavy logs and rocks. I don't need it when the backhoe is mounted but I am glad I don't have to mess with the backhoe hooks, jacks, etc. to mount it. It is about 24 years old now and still going strong. I agree with previous answer about tightening sway links to keep it from swinging sideways too far. Another advantage of having it on 3ph is you can lower it for a lower overall cg in dicey sidehill situations.

/ Rear ballast on 3 point hitch or backhoe subframe? #9  
I took the easy route, but had 48,000 lbs of lead. These pics only show one piece, added one more after the pics were taken. Also had to replace that carryall this year. After moving 300,000 tons of limestone. It fell apart, bought a better one. Then drilled 1/2" holes dropped 2 long bolts through the bottom piece. That keeps it from moving. The 2 pieces weight around 2000 lbs. I buy my heating pellets by the trailer load. Use this to allow me to unload the ton pallets of pellets.
ballest03.jpgballest02.jpgballest.jpg

/ Rear ballast on 3 point hitch or backhoe subframe? #10  
Just use your other tractor with forks on it! No other tractor? Well now you have a reason to add one....LOL
How about a tilting table to hold the weight, the closest to the tractor at the proper height to set on the pins and tilt it up to connect the top?