Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Rear Blade and Snow; Nice Surface

/ Rear Blade and Snow; Nice Surface #1  

JDGreenGrass

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 770
After much discussion and debate I put off buying a pto snowblower. This winter I am using the bucket and a rear blade. I am super happy with the finished surface. This picture shows the results after about 6 inches of fresh snow.

Not bad.
TractorDec09Tree008.jpg

TractorDec09Tree012.jpg

/ Rear Blade and Snow; Nice Surface #2  
Yup, looks good. Kind of like mine. Depending on the year and how cold it gets, I've simply packed down the first good snow to create a "skin" to allow the surface to freeze to avoid scalping. That was not an issue this year, as we got a good freeze along with the first snow. I did get a snow blade (Curtis) for the FEL. Cheers!

/ Rear Blade and Snow; Nice Surface #3  
Nice job JDGG! I just added some weight to my back blade and wow what a
differnce that made. It stays on the ground and doesn't do any hopping.
We've got a blower coming,but until then I'm happy with the back blade.
The wet heavy snow is the only thing that seem to throw me off.

/ Rear Blade and Snow; Nice Surface
Ya, the wet 'n' heavy snow has hit yet. That may be a different result.

Nor has the 15" to 25" storms. More time to clean up when those storms hit.

/ Rear Blade and Snow; Nice Surface #5  
Your blade done a great job!

I used a FEL and rear blade for a long time.- Now I use a Meyer blade on the front and still use my rear blade on the rear.

Is your rear blade a "County-Line" from TSC ?

I just bought my brother one for Christmas.- I didn't know much about this kind of blade.- He didn't have one and I thought it was a great price.- I bought him the 7' blade.

/ Rear Blade and Snow; Nice Surface
Your blade done a great job!

I used a FEL and rear blade for a long time.- Now I use a Meyer blade on the front and still use my rear blade on the rear.

Is your rear blade a "County-Line" from TSC ?

I just bought my brother one for Christmas.- I didn't know much about this kind of blade.- He didn't have one and I thought it was a great price.- I bought him the 7' blade.

Yes, it's a CountyLine blade from TSC, 6 feet. I can appreciate the comments of the "better" attachments but not all of us can afford them. I am a newb at this tractor thing and I have TSC 10 miles down the road. I'll beat on my CountyLine blade and rake and if they break I will consider "better." I paid $319 for the blade. So far so good.

You bought your brother a nice gift.

I find I can move a lot of snow pulling the blade. When I get near to the "finished product" I spin it around and use the back side of the blade to leave the surface flat with no windrows. It's a great surface but I can see that it could become slick, reducing my traction. When I am done with the blade I put my ballast box on and use the bucket to pile it up.

I love my tractor and all it has done for me. Quite a tool.

/ Rear Blade and Snow; Nice Surface #7  
Very nice. I moved snow with a 6' Howse grader blade and a Ford 861 then my Jinma 284 for about 9 years. I then upgraded to the front truck type plow last year and rebuilt it this year. It does not do a better job, just quicker. I also upgraded to a 7' Woods rear blade about 3 years ago. It in combination with the plow really allows me to fly.

Anyway what I am saying is with that rig you have you can do everything needed. Keep your eyes open for a old truck plow and upgrade with the time is right. I got mine for $80 and it took another $300 to rebuild it later on.

Chris

/ Rear Blade and Snow; Nice Surface #8  
Doggone it!
You guys make me jealous with all your snow moving seat time. :(

Here, if we ever see snow, it usually melts when it hits the ground. And if any does stick, it melts before I can get out and enjoy it. :mad:

Ronnie

/ Rear Blade and Snow; Nice Surface #9  
That drive and parking area does look good. I used a 6' back blade with my Ford 2N for probably 20 years and I had very long drives out in the country with drifting. I had chains on the rears. It did a great job.

Later I got a 4wd Dodge Ram 2500 and put a used plow on it and that was much more convenient, needless to say, warmer.

/ Rear Blade and Snow; Nice Surface #10  
You bought your brother a nice gift.

I'll say!!! I got a "Man Purse" from my Brother in Law one year :confused:

Don't ask, it's an Eastern European thing, I married into it :)

But seriously, JDGG what is under that nice surface, gravel? if so that is a great job. The problem with my gravel drive and yard areas is that here in southern New England we can't count on it freezing once and staying frozen, it can freeze/thaw 10 times over the winter. I hear all this talk about grading and prepping the first couple snows then they have a perfect base for the rest of the winter. That's not happening here.

JB.