Rear blade chatter when moving snow/slush?

/ Rear blade chatter when moving snow/slush? #1  

aa777888

Tractor
JD3520
Photo of my setup below. JD3520 with Frontier 60" mid-PTO driven blower on a front hitch, and Frontier 72" rear blade on the back.

The last couple of years have thrown a lot of ice, freezing rain and slush at us, and of course the blower can't deal with any of that. So for this year the 800lb weight box came off and the 400lb blade went on, along with 200lb of wheel weights.

Today was the first opportunity to use the blade. I had a about 1.5" of heavy, wet slush to move off my 1000ft paved driveway. In general the blade and machine combination performed well, I just need to refine my driving to keep it closer to the driveway edge. However, I did run into one unexpected issue, which was blade chatter on drier parts of the driveway. My initial reaction was to slow down, but that was very inefficient. Eventually I found that if I took just a little weight off of the hitch, not enough to pick up the blade, just enough to pick up some slack, rather than just pushing the hitch lever fully forward (full down), that cured the problem. But that seemed to be a very fussy way to solve this issue.

Is there anything else I can do to minimize the chatter problem? I guess I could put a UHMW edge on it but that's another $300-ish down the drain :(. Maybe put some washers/spacers behind the blade on the top mounting bolts to tilt the blade a little further forward?

What say you all?

PXL_20221110_213516566.jpg

/ Rear blade chatter when moving snow/slush? #2  
Adjust your upper link, shorten it, rather than put washers behind the cutting edge. Chatter would occur with the poly edge as well in dry areas. Either way it will make some noise.

/ Rear blade chatter when moving snow/slush? #3  
That's what I was going to say as well. Change you attache angle of the blade. Sometimes it helps to pitch it forward (more aggressive down force) others up and back.

BTW - nice looking setup. I'm jealous!

/ Rear blade chatter when moving snow/slush?
Good idea, Tom, except that the upper link works perfectly for all my other attachments as is, so I'd rather not adjust it, i.e. I'd rather carry any adjustments on the implement itself, if possible.

Noise is fine, chatter is not. Perhaps I should have said the thing was frankly hopping, which it was.

/ Rear blade chatter when moving snow/slush?
BTW - nice looking setup. I'm jealous!

:)

I've had it for ten years now. For the winter I wish I had a 4000 series, but for everything else I do the 3520 is a much better size. Plus when I bought it the budget said "4000 conventional or 3000 with a cab". Obviously I'm glad I got the cab!!! There are 6" wheel extenders on the back so the blower is not quite as wide as the tractor, but it's a worthy trade-off for stability as I've got quite a few slopes I need to deal with in the summer.

/ Rear blade chatter when moving snow/slush? #6  
I've got the same problem on a lighter blade- I thought it needed more weight but looks like it's more complicated... Maybe a softer edge than UHMWPE, like a strip of stall matting?

/ Rear blade chatter when moving snow/slush? #7  
my though is once the ground will be snow covered you won't get this ''issue'' if you can call it that...

/ Rear blade chatter when moving snow/slush? #8  
Good idea, Tom, except that the upper link works perfectly for all my other attachments as is, so I'd rather not adjust it, i.e. I'd rather carry any adjustments on the implement itself, if possible.

Noise is fine, chatter is not. Perhaps I should have said the thing was frankly hopping, which it was.

you make it sound like adjusting the top link for implements is a big deal?? I have to adjust it for each of my implements its part of the game ... you have this adjustment link right ?

but yes too much friction so reduces it and the hopping will stop but I think it will be a first snow fall issue only...

1668624086567.png

/ Rear blade chatter when moving snow/slush? #9  
I need to adjust the top link often, the different 3 pt attachments are, well, different... You may get less chatter if you turn the blade backwards.

/ Rear blade chatter when moving snow/slush? #10  

Maybe get an upper link for just the blade. Or are you using a quick hitch? Better yet, get a top and tilt setup.