Grading Rear blade?

/ Rear blade? #21  
When NEW a rear blade has sharp corners, you might dislike what those can do to a driveway.
There are a number of posts about pipe edges and hard plastic cutting edges.

If you get one that can be swung around and run backwards;
a) Your learning curve will be easier,
b) It might ride up and over the snow if it is light and the snow is heavy.
c) The driveway damage while the corners are sharp will be less.

You can get around b) by taking smaller bites and/or getting out there before it gets too deep.

a 'NOTHER enhancement is to replace your side links with chains, so the blade can follow the road and not dig a corner in when one side of the tractor goes over a bump.

By the time the corners are rounded you will probably have a better idea of what you are doing and can turn it around to face front.

/ Rear blade? #22  
I have made both a front and rear blade. Was able to use them this past week for the first time :D Our first snow fall was 8" and had no problems using both. Should it pile up to high I can put the FEL on. Will see what the rest of the winter brings. With only $150 in both think I did ok... John

http://i46.tinypic.com/2150s34.jpg

/ Rear blade?
Thank you for all your replies. The dealer is pretty much against the idea of using a rear blade and the front end loader to move snow. My cousin uses that setup on the farm, says that the blower wasn't the "best" solution for them. We typically get several feet of snow annually, but so far nothing to even worry about shovelling yet much less worry about plowing. My gravel drive is about 80' long and 50' wide plus some additional parking area. I also will be clearing 2 small 12 stall parking lots on my income property. If I could get jb to fabricate a front and rear blade for me for $150 I'd be down there in a heartbeat:D I wouldn't mind seeing more pics and info on that setup-looks nicely done! Especially considering the budget. Will end up making a trip to the dealer for a 60" blade after Christmas it looks like, and consider a front mounted blower next year. But $4000 is soooooo much money, maybe not next year either.

/ Rear blade? #24  
On my BX-22 I have been using the FEL and 5' rear blade for a couple of seasons.

I have about 500' of 10' wide blacktop +-

I think it works great up to about 8" or more of snow. Then the BX-22 has a problem with the weight of the snow and weight of the tractor. I usually drop the loader in float position, angle the rear blade and may have to make a couple of runs to clear a path in the real deep stuff.

But anything less than 8" or so it works pretty well.

If I get a real bad snow I just get out the walkbehind 10hp 34" snowblower and do it like the old days.

Obviously the drawback with a FEL and rear blade combo / compared to a tractor mounted snowblower is the ability of the snowblower to "blow" the snow out and away from the sides of the driveway, house etc.....

I keep saying I am going to get a rear mounted snowblower but I always find something else to spend my money on.

Get the blower if you can justify spending the bucks.

/ Rear blade? #25  
...There are a number of posts about pipe edges and hard plastic cutting edges...

I bought 1/2" X 6" rubber edges for my 72" RB1572 Land Pride rear blade and the loader. Mounting the rubber on the rear blade wasn't easy, and I should have gotten 8" wide instead. Anyhow, It really seems to save my asphalt so far. I cussed the first time because I had the blade improperly adjusted on my BX2660 and the rubber caused the blade to ride over hard wet snow. The next night I adjusted everything, and it works nicely. The biggest problem is I had to use standard hex bolts to attach the rubber (found no plow bolts long enough locally), so the bolt heads and the rubber don't let the snow flow across the angled blade and roll off to the side as well. Eight inches of soupy wet snow still was no match for the BX with turf tires. I may be looking for a set of R4's before next year for fun. I still want to mount the rubber edge on the loader, but I can't seem to find time yet.

/ Rear blade? #26  
Why is the dealer against using the FEL and the rear blade? I figure if the machine is designed to move dirt and stone with them than snow should be no problem, unless the problem is that the dealer has already sold you a rear blade,...... then that seems more like the dealers problem.
I would try the rear blade and FEL first, you might find it works for you and that the fatter wallet is more comfortable.

/ Rear blade? #27  
Why is the dealer against using the FEL and the rear blade? I figure if the machine is designed to move dirt and stone with them than snow should be no problem, unless the problem is that the dealer has already sold you a rear blade,...... then that seems more like the dealers problem.
I would try the rear blade and FEL first, you might find it works for you and that the fatter wallet is more comfortable.

Maybe the dealer would like to sell a 4 figure snow blower???? It is their living.

/ Rear blade? #28  
I have a gravel road and a gravel drive. My BX24 has a FEL and a Woods RB60. works ok but I am going to have to put on one of those plastic pipes over the cutting edge so I don't tear up the road so much. Wish I could take the gauge wheels off my LR60 and put them on the RB60 for the winter.

/ Rear blade? #29  
jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj

/ Rear blade? #30  
Sorry about last post, I must have hit something wrong...... what I was trying to reply..... c6rider where did your guage wheels attach to your machine? in my manual for my bx2200 there is a picture of guage wheels, but it does not give any information about them.I thought that mabe they would attach to the mower deck arms when the deck is not on.