rear grease seal removal

/ rear grease seal removal #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
I will admit this is my first time greasing my trailer bearings. I thought this was going to be a nice afternoon job before the heat comes back tomorrow. I am trying to get the rear seal out. I tried using a screw driver to pry it out. The center hub is too low to pry against so I used some pieces of wood to give me some leverage. I was pounding on the screw driver with a hammer but it only flexed the screw driver. Any tips on getting this out? I am sure I have damaged it enough now that this one needs to be replaced.

rear seal.jpg

/ rear grease seal removal #2  
I use a seal puller like this...otherwise you need a pry bar or huge flat blade.20180831_154259.jpeg20180831_154311.jpeg

/ rear grease seal removal #3  
Flip it over, and use a screw driver or punch through the hole resting on the inside rim of the seal. Tap it out that way.

/ rear grease seal removal #4  
I have removed the outer bearing, installed the nut on the end of the axle and jerk on the hub against the nut to pull the seal out. This is on units where the inner bearing is still in the hub.

/ rear grease seal removal
I can't get past the bearing to tap it out from the other side. Off to find a seal puller.

/ rear grease seal removal #6  
i like the remove the outer bearing, install hub and nut back onto spindle and yank, not all will work this way. you can also drive the inner bearing out and it will take the seal with it

/ rear grease seal removal #7  
Take an old screwdriver and drive it into the side of the seal where it meets the hub.
If it doesn't go in it will deform it so it will fall out.

At the second store I found one puller in stock. Got home and tried it out. Bent the crap out of it. Pulled a second hub to see if it was just that one stuck. Nope they both would not move. I am going to try taking the hubs to a local shop and to see if they will pull them for me. At this point the seals on those 2 hubs are shot and have to come out.

/ rear grease seal removal #9  
From the looks , the seal was in need of replacing anyway.

Well $20 later and a bigger hammer the pros got the seals out. He struggles also which made me feel good that it wasn't just me having troubles. Now to cleaning them all up and repacking the bearings. Are the seals measured by the diameter of the opening in the hub?