Rear PTO Brake - Free wheel?

/ Rear PTO Brake - Free wheel? #1  

DVerbarg

Platinum Member
Tractor
No longer have :-(
In the past there has been discussions around having an overrunning clutch in order to make the hook-up of PTO implements easier. In the proces of replacing the control shaft for the hydro transmission on my TC40D I read quite a bit of the shop manual and ran across this basic text (from page 31-7):

"The rear PTO output shaft cannot be rotated when the tractor is shut off and the PTO is in the disengaged position, because the PTO gear coupler is being constantly enaged with the powertrain. When the optional mid PTO is installed, the rear PTO coupler can be disengaged because the rear and mid PTOs can be disengaged or engaged separately. When the rear PTO coupler is disengaged the rear PTO shaft can be rotated"

Do any of you have a mid-PTO installed on your class III Boomer? Are you able to do this? I also wondering if the coupler can be disengaged even without the mid-PTO being installed. There is a lever type connection on the side of the transmission without anything attached.

/ Rear PTO Brake - Free wheel? #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( In the proces of replacing the control shaft for the hydro transmission on my TC40D )</font>

Dave, how is your repair project coming? Is your tractor back together and did you get your input shaft repaired or replaced with a new one? I haven't seen an update lately and I was wondering since I have a close "personal" relationship with that entire project. I wish I could give you more info on your PTO question, but my TC45D doesn't even have the capability for a mid-PTO, so I'm not sure. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Rear PTO Brake - Free wheel?
Jim,

Got the repair finished yesterday! Took about 11 hrs to get it reassembled. Bought a new shaft since I slightly bent the end of the old one while trying to remove it. No parts left over!

Total time was around 16 hrs for the entire removal-reassembly process. But I now know my tractor in a much better way /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Rear PTO Brake - Free wheel? #4  
That's good news, Dave. I think I had the hardest time getting the fender bolts back in, but now everything works fine and I feel much better about what I learned. Everytime I set the cruise control I can visualize exactly what is happening. Of course, I hope I never have to remove the platform again, but if I do, I'll remember a lot of tricks I learned the hard way. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Rear PTO Brake - Free wheel? #5  
Yes D Verbarg, the rear pto turns w/ 2 fingers.
I never thought about it BUT if I disengaged the rear pto lever instead of the pto control it should let the rear pto freewheel and coast to a stop.
I've not used the brush cutter yet to check this out.
This set-up works good, I had the MMM on and the 3pt. sprayer and use either/or both.
W/ the toplink cylinder I can use it to set the sprayer height too.