rear shackles "flipped"

/ rear shackles "flipped" #1  

mikim

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC45
20' tandem axle trailer....Have no idea how I managed it but somehow the front shackles on the rear axle have flipped up so that the rear tires aren't even touching the ground. :mad: The idea I have for fixing it scares me so I'm hoping y'all have a better idea than me tieing the axle off to a tree and pulling - stretching the trailer to try to make the axle drop. ....Probably the exact wrong thing to do ....any and all help welcomed.:(

/ rear shackles "flipped" #2  
Try jacking up on the trailer frame. At some point I would think the bind would be taken off the fipped shackle. Then take bolt out and flip em back. If that dont work then try jacking axles one at a time chking for the bind to be removed.

/ rear shackles "flipped" #3  
When I purchased my trailer back some years ago the dealer jacked up the frame and there was this loud bang. I asked him what it was and he showed me the other side as he jacked it up and the shackle was inverted. It too flipped when he lifted that side. He told me that it happens frequently during mass transport of trailers on the carriers so they always check them. He also said it can happen if driven without enough load on a rough road and the trailer bounces. Do not know how yours got flipped but as was said try lifting the frame it might flip on it's own as mine did at the dealer as described.

/ rear shackles "flipped" #4  
Take the time and do it right. Dont pull on it. If needed take it apart and get it back right.

Chris

/ rear shackles "flipped" #5  
I think if they can flip, the geometry is a little off somewhere.

The spring mounts are too far apart,
or the spring is too short,
or the shackle is too short,
or the equalizer is too short.

Easy to happen if some worn parts have been replaced with shorter ones at some time in the past.

Bruce

/ rear shackles "flipped" #6  
bcp said:
I think if they can flip, the geometry is a little off somewhere.

The spring mounts are too far apart,
or the spring is too short,
or the shackle is too short,
or the equalizer is too short.

Easy to happen if some worn parts have been replaced with shorter ones at some time in the past.

Bruce

I am with Bruce. The holes in the shackles and equalizers get worn oblong. I have seen them worn so bad that there was very little metal left at the ends. Might be wise to take it apart to reposition just to be able to inspect the parts. These parts are very cheap and easy to replace.

/ rear shackles "flipped" #7  
I'm reading TBN as I sit at my local trailer repair shop because my front shackles flipped last night and what thread do I come across! Well in my case the front tires were off the ground and a wheel was locked up. So on my way for service the axle corrected itself on a bumpy road and the wheel now turns.

/ rear shackles "flipped"
I guess what flipped 'em was running down my rough old road empty. I did as suggested and raised all 4 wheels off the ground at the same time and they flopped back to where they should be. ....thanks all.....(I blocked up the back of the trailer and lifted the hitch with my FEL...couldn't have been easier.)

/ rear shackles "flipped" #9  
I ended up putting on 4 new backing plates and break set ups. The adjusters were all rusted and locked up so while it was there and apart, it was time. Should be good for another 5 years

/ rear shackles "flipped" #10  
When I put my trailer together the equalizers inverted. I bought longer equilizers and that solved the problem. I think the equalizer length should be the same as the spacing between the eyes of the spring. That's what my new ones are and i have had no problem. Search for "shackles inverting" and you can see responses.
Bob