Rear Snowblower with Gear Tractor.??....

/ Rear Snowblower with Gear Tractor.??.... #1  

JDGreenGrass

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 770
I am considering a rear snowblower. I have a gear transmission....Reverse high or low range range...that's it.

Is this a problem in regards to speed when blowing snow.??

/ Rear Snowblower with Gear Tractor.??.... #2  
Not for me. There are times when going through a 3'-4' drift that I have to take a little bit at a time (stop and go), but not a big deal to me. A lot of that has to do with having a blower a bit larger than my tractor likes.

/ Rear Snowblower with Gear Tractor.??.... #3  
Not for me. I have a Kioti DK 35, seems to work well in 2nd or higher in most snow. Sometimes need 1st gear but only for doing around obstacles. I must keep the engine revs up for good snow throwing ability, so clutch can get a workout if doing very close work.

/ Rear Snowblower with Gear Tractor.??....
Not for me. I have a Kioti DK 35, seems to work well in 2nd or higher in most snow. Sometimes need 1st gear but only for doing around obstacles. I must keep the engine revs up for good snow throwing ability, so clutch can get a workout if doing very close work.

Sounds to me that your tractor is geared different than mine. Let me be clear...

I have a stick shift.....Reverse is reverse, in high range or low range. 2 speeds. There is no reverse in "2nd gear or higher." It's reverse in low range or high range.

I am just wondering, with a choice of just 2 speeds (high range or low range) will I feel that I have no speed control.??....

I don't know, maybe it's a stupid question OR I am not making the question clear.??

/ Rear Snowblower with Gear Tractor.??.... #5  
I have an oversized blower, according to the norm,(74 inch on a 28HP tractor) and have no problem with it. The tractor is a Kioti, 3054xs, with an 8X8 gear selection(4 high range-4 low range) shuttle. Usually I utilize first gear(high range)or fourth gear (low range). Wet, heavy stuff, I have used third (low range),but that is a rare occurance; not the wet, heavy stuff, but the gear selection. Given your limited gear selection, I would think you might experience problems with a rear mounted blower

/ Rear Snowblower with Gear Tractor.??.... #6  
My 3pt snowblower came with my first tractor, a used B6200 gear. Same as you are talking about, high range or low range in reverse. Usually it meant slower than I wanted or way faster than I wanted. One time only, even low range was too fast for the hard and deep drift I had to get through. Getting that first cut punched through took quite a while, after that I just shaved off as much as the tractor could handle. Most of the time it will work out okay, once in a while it will be hard on things but, still way better than swinging a shovel:thumbsup:.

/ Rear Snowblower with Gear Tractor.??.... #7  
Sounds to me that your tractor is geared different than mine. Let me be clear...

I have a stick shift.....Reverse is reverse, in high range or low range. 2 speeds. There is no reverse in "2nd gear or higher." It's reverse in low range or high range.

I am just wondering, with a choice of just 2 speeds (high range or low range) will I feel that I have no speed control.??....

I don't know, maybe it's a stupid question OR I am not making the question clear.??

I know what you mean. The high range reverse in my 1210 is very fast and the low range is very slow. You will probably have to use low range.

If you are doing it for a living that would be a bad thing. If not, it will just mean a little more seat time and that is not all that bad.

/ Rear Snowblower with Gear Tractor.??.... #8  
I run a 60" blower on my Mitsu 20 hp.
Sit kinda 'sidesaddle' and just keep the RPM up.
Shure, sometimes low is too slow for my liking, but it gets the job done and blows the snow clear into the woods.
When we get real dumpings (12-24") I just take smaller bites, but generally my tractoe handles the full 60's.
You'll soon adapt, main issue is to keep RPMS at 550 and not lug the engine.

/ Rear Snowblower with Gear Tractor.??....
Thanks everyone.

Sounds like it's not the best set-up in the world but, it does get the job done.

Kind of what I expected to hear.