Tires Rear tire pressure

/ Rear tire pressure #1  

STEVEG

Tractor
Century 2535
Does anyone have the correct rear tire pressure for my tractor? I have a Century 2535 with FL and BH. The Manual call for a max of 16 lbs. Does this sound right? Should I increase some in cold weather??

Thanks Steve

/ Rear tire pressure #2  
If the manual calls for 16 pounds and the tires aren't grossly under inflated and or deformed, then go with it. Do the tires have any information about inflation on them, yes?---go with that. Now if the tire tread was buckled or sidewalls are bulging then you might want to call your dealer or the importer and find out for sure, because you can cause serious damage or get seriouly injured if you overinflate them and the tire dismounts from the rim violantly. DO NOT OVER INFLATE YOUR TIRES. Not only do you pose a risk to you and your loved ones but you'll end up with extra damage occuring to your tires /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Franz /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Rear tire pressure #3  
My brother went thru the same thing with his 3510 branson. He checked every sqaure inch on the tire and couldn't find the air pressure stamp. His tires seemed low to him. He looked in the manual, and there is a diagram that looks backasswards...and I believe there may be info in metric that he would have to decipher. He finally called the dealer.

/ Rear tire pressure #4  
Hey, I looked at my manual and the diagram is backwards. Low should be Hi and High should be low. Also, tire pressure with loader should be: (probably 1.6 kg/cm2 ( kilogram per sq. centimeter) AND NOT 16) 16 kg/cm converts to 227.52 psi, so it must be 1.6 at 22.752 psi. The conversion can be found doing an MSN SEARCH for metric conversions/ metric to pounds conversion.
I have a 3520 and my manual also covers the 28/3510 35/40/4320
with rotary (standard) frnt: 2.0kg/cm2 =28.44 psi
rear 1.4 =19.908
with loader frnt 3.0 =42.660
rear 2.0 = 28.44
Now the 20 series frame has the larger tire than the 10 series so I dont know how they or I can use this across the board without a numeric designation on the tire for specifics. I guess youll just have to look at the "diaphram" and see if your tire looks like the standard one in the center. I'll just deposit a little /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif here.
www.worldwidemetric.com

hope this helps. Franz

/ Rear tire pressure #5  
Guys!

Please be careful not to overinflate those tires!!!

My wife got called into the ER this summer when a tire blew up while a guy was filling it. It blew with so much force that it broke his arm, his arm flew into his nose breaking his nose, blew him back into the guy leaning over him breaking one of his ribs!!!. <font color="red">OUCH!</font>

Thankfully they both lived.
Duane

/ Rear tire pressure #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My wife got called into the ER this summer when a tire blew up while a guy was filling it. )</font>

Boy Duane, can I relate to that! When I was in high school, I worked part time for a tire dealer in town. We handled any kind of tire, but specialized in industrial/agricultural tires. On my first day, the guy I would be working with walked me over to one of these tire cage and told me that if he EVER saw me airing up any kind of tire outside of this cage, he'd kick my butt to you-know-where! He explained how tires, especially truck tires with locking rings on the rims, can launch themselves at great velocities into the surrounding area. He also showed me the two fingers he was missing as a result of a locking ring taking off when his hand was laying across it. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

He made his point pretty dramatically. But, like most teenagers, after awhile I figured I had gotten good enough in working these tires that I didn't need to use the cage every time. About the third tire I was working on without the cage proved me wrong. I had been airing the tire up slowly, and occassionally banging on the locking rim with a mall to help seat the ring (the way I had been taught), when that puppy let go. It sliced the air hose cleaner than if a scapel had been used, and fortunately for me, it went straight up into the air above the roof line of our building before coming down. It landed about foot to the right of where I HAD been standing, 'cause I was about 60' away and still motivating down the road before I finally realized that I could stop and go back! Man, did that thing scare the BeeJesus out of me! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I never, EVER aired up a tire outside of that cage again! And of course, I never told my co-worker about it either!! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Rear tire pressure #7  
A few years ago, one of my brothers was working for Camping World and was airing up a tubeless motorhome tire inside the cage they had recently obtained, but the cage was not anchored to the floor yet; just sitting against the wall. That tire was supposed to run at 100 psi, but before it got to 80 psi, it blew (turned out to be a defective tire). The resulting explosion blew the cage away from the wall, into my brother, knocked him backwards onto the concrete unconscious. He got a ride to a hospital in an ambulance, but luckily only had a mild concussion.

/ Rear tire pressure
I just called my dealer and he maintains that 16 lbs is accurate. Is it normal to lose a little air pressure when the weather get real cold?

Steve

/ Rear tire pressure #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is it normal to lose a little air pressure when the weather get real cold?
)</font>

Oh yeah. I can't say how much, because it depends on the kind of tire. But I've seen a tire that was properly inflated look like it was half flat when it turned real cold. Often, once you start driving and the tire gets heated up, it'll get warm enough to "look" normal again.

But be careful. In the cold weather, the rubber on the tire can constrict enough that the bead will be broken, and that can be a bear to get to seal again. You almost always have to take it in somewhere warm before it'll reseal.

/ Rear tire pressure #10  
Yep, Steve, air does expand with heat and contract with cold. That's the reason they recommend you check you car tire pressure when they're cold, not after running all day and heating up.