Rear Window Defroster Wire(s)

/ Rear Window Defroster Wire(s) #1  

TimP

Platinum Member
Tractor
B3000HSDCC
Hi All. I have a B3000HSDCC (Cold Weather Model) that has a factory rear window defroster.

I noticed that a couple of the lines on it do not defrost. This is usually due to some sort of damage to the Defroster grid line.

After close inspection, I saw two small areas where the grid line appeared to be nicked or scrapped away/damaged.

Not large areas at all. I sent my Tractor to the dealer for my annual spring service package, and I asked him to repair those areas.

The dealer called back and said they can't repair it, they must replace the ENTIRE rear window for a price of $800.00 !!!!! WHAT ?

The grid is not built into the glass itself, but just like your car window, the defroster wires are applied to the glass.

Seems like a case of a mechanic working on commission.

In any event, I was able to buy a defroster repair kit at my local auto parts store for $10.00.

I will attempt the repair myself. The kit has everything in it to do the repair.

The only problem I see, is that, unlike a car, the grid lines are curved, not straight, so applying the tape on the glass before I brush on the grid "paint" will be more challenging.

Anyone ever done this repair, and if so, do you have any hitnts/tips?

Thanks !

Last edited:
   / Rear Window Defroster Wire(s) #2  
I fixed spots on my m7060’s rear window. I had a hard time seeing the ‘break’, and used a multi meter to find the breaks (I had many from a stupid mistake) marked with a sharpie. One issue I had the first try was when I unpeeled the tape after the stuff was dry, it took all the new copper with it! So, second try, I put a few good coats on then took the tape off right away. I used painters tape as the little template was not reusable nor would it work in the corner.

/ Rear Window Defroster Wire(s) #3  
You could get some super thin "vinyl" masking tape to do the masking as its easy to stretch and bend around curves.

Edit: Or regular masking tape and cut the radii with exacto knife.

/ Rear Window Defroster Wire(s)
You could get some super thin "vinyl" masking tape to do the masking as its easy to stretch and bend around curves.

Edit: Or regular masking tape and cut the radii with exacto knife.
Thanks. I like the Vinyl tape idea the best.

I'll go on the hunt for some... unless it's on Amazon! :.)

/ Rear Window Defroster Wire(s) #5  
Painters at body shops can do amazing things with masking tape.
Happen to know one?
Good Luck!

/ Rear Window Defroster Wire(s)
Painters at body shops can do amazing things with masking tape.
Happen to know one?
Good Luck!
I don't know one off hand.

But if I have the correct tape, I'm more than willing to give it a go.

I think it may be easier i the tape is translucent and not opaque.