Reassemble Z145 Governor

/ Reassemble Z145 Governor #1  

gearmaker

Tractor
NH TC30, MF135, Bobcat 763, Ditch Witch 4010
Hey All, I have made progress. Timing went well. Distributor was 2 teeth off so that I could not ****** the timing enough.
On top of that my advance mechanism was frozen solid with rusty gunk. Runs smoother than ever at 160 deg instead of 210!
Could not get any adjustment out of Governor so I took off timing cover so I could understand operation better.
MY Agco shop manual says " Assemble Governor" Parts book is more helpful. I could not understand where the tab on the disk goes.
One manual says 8 o'clock one says 10 o'clock and the existing wear on the Governor lever indicates that it should reside in the pocket at 11 o'clock
That puts the tab on top of the governor lever Both 8 and 10 o'clock put the tab into the face of the lever or into the body of the timing cover.
I can find no clearer instruction. My bumper spring was bent toward engine. I have repositioned it to reflect original position that I saw on a new cover.
Thanks for looking, David

/ Reassemble Z145 Governor
I found another manual that states that the governor cup should be installed so that the tab is at 6 o'clock!

I reassembled the timing cover with the Governor Cup tab at 6 o'clock. Timing good. Carb adjustments good.
Governor no change.
Will keep trying until I get it!
All linkage free and adjusted as in service manual.
Probably something simple
Thanks for looking
David

So... Another day, no success with governor. Having never owned nor operated a continental Z145, maybe my expectations are too high. We have one Massey Ferguson shop near by,been in business since 1925. They say they never work that is why the foot throttle is so popular in the UK ? I have assembled and adjusted many Governors over the years on all types of stationary and mobile contrivances. This has me stumped. Any thoughts at all?
Thank you for reading and if I figure the magic needed I will surely post.
David

/ Reassemble Z145 Governor #5  
So... Another day, no success with governor. Having never owned nor operated a continental Z145, maybe my expectations are too high. We have one Massey Ferguson shop near by,been in business since 1925. They say they never work that is why the foot throttle is so popular in the UK ? I have assembled and adjusted many Governors over the years on all types of stationary and mobile contrivances. This has me stumped. Any thoughts at all?
Thank you for reading and if I figure the magic needed I will surely post.
David

David...they didn't ever sell the Z145 in the UK...all of the 135s are diesels...the foot throttle wouldn't fit the Z engine anyway...I've not had any problem with the govenor on my Z engine..strong/simple and easy to work on. good luck.. BobG in VA

Thanks for the response. My Ditch Witch has 3 throttles, one on the dash, one foot throttle and one for the backhoe. The foot throttle is nice because it adds to the set throttle on the dash while digging. a little goose here and there is just what the doctor ordered without reallly changing anything. that is what I was referring to. My governor does not respond at all on the ferguson. All parts are as the manual states and reflective of anything I can glean on the forums. I was sure that it was something I had done or not done but since I have no experience with a working MF governor, it could be that my expectations were too high and this is as good as it gets. Mowing with this is a chore without governor with my mostly level property here in NC. Impossible for my place in TN where the tractor was destined for.
Thanks for reading. David

Well I took off the rod from the throttle to the governor and watched as I increased RPM. the Governor rod moves opposite to the throttle rod as it should. With a certain amount of force I might add.
So there must be too much resistance in the Linkage?
thanks, David

/ Reassemble Z145 Governor #8  
Well I took off the rod from the throttle to the governor and watched as I increased RPM. the Governor rod moves opposite to the throttle rod as it should. With a certain amount of force I might add.
So there must be too much resistance in the Linkage?
thanks, David

Does your governor have a compensator spring on it like the Z120/129 engines? Is it in place and does it have the correct tension?

Yes. I even bought a new one even though they were the same length. Thought maybe the tension could have been a little different and it couldn't hurt to have a spare.
Spent today moving the loader frame forward 4" to allow for the front Hydro Pump. The pump is a SAE A 2 bolt cessna from a MF65. I am thinking that I will route that to the sump so that the sump can benefit from an external spin filter.
I readjusted the throttle rod and will see how that works when I can move the tractor again. I do get movement on the governor arm opposite the throttle movement.
thanks for reading
Happy Easter
David