rebuild a waterpump for a 790/3005 anyone??

/ rebuild a waterpump for a 790/3005 anyone?? #1  

spruce Deere

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 790 with loader LS xr3140h also with loader plus a cab
Replaced the less than 500 hour leaking waterpump on the 790 later last winter, Only 7 months out of warranty to boot........:mad:

The price of a new pump was ridiculous of course, $343. $ome change, doing all work my self, but needed the tractor to work so I took the beating. I had almost forgot about the old leaky waterpump, till I stumbled across it on one of my 'parts' shelves.

So, can anybody feed me some info on a rebuild kit or any information?? I know the same engine gets a lot of use in Marine apps and obviously other yanmar tractors but with different engine numbers things get fuzzy to say the very least:)

The rate of inflation of everything anymore on a work'n mans farm budget, makes me rebuild anything and everything I can, wich is the big reason why i bought a deere 'parts' and this particular simple and just about bullet proof model 'yanmar' of tractor..... Just as easily could have been a kubota but that dealer was, awww never mind.:2cents:

Any help on a water pump kit will be appreciated, thanks tbn'ers!!!

/ rebuild a waterpump for a 790/3005 anyone?? #2  
I am sure there is a kit sold, just go online to jdparts. Rebuilding will require a press as the impeller has to be pressed of so the seal and bearing can be changed. Unless you can do this yourself you will be with in a few bucks of new after you pay someone to press things off and on.

/ rebuild a waterpump for a 790/3005 anyone??
Thanks Kuboman. I have a 20 ton press:) JDparts says the shaft, bearing/seal, impeller is an error..... almost like they'd rather sell the whole pump. Kinda what I ran into earlier when I purchased a new pump.

I owned a 240D yanmar before and was out very close to the same amount of money when that water pump started to leak. It had in the 2K plus hours on it though.... I had a diesel shop rebuild it and after that I would rather leave the $70/hour in my own pocket and save myself the stories of having to 'machine' a new shaft and other endeavors with such a simple, common water pump..... That was before I discovered Hoye tractor and very shortly be for I bought the 790.

Hoye tractor has a pump that looked Identical to the 790 water pump and less than half of what deere wanted. I contacted them about it with engine numbers and such and its application and they had no idea if it would work.

Seems funny such a common, wide used engine parts and information are hard to find.

/ rebuild a waterpump for a 790/3005 anyone?? #4  
Thanks Kuboman. I have a 20 ton press:) JDparts says the shaft, bearing/seal, impeller is an error..... almost like they'd rather sell the whole pump. Kinda what I ran into earlier when I purchased a new pump.

I owned a 240D yanmar before and was out very close to the same amount of money when that water pump started to leak. It had in the 2K plus hours on it though.... I had a diesel shop rebuild it and after that I would rather leave the $70/hour in my own pocket and save myself the stories of having to 'machine' a new shaft and other endeavors with such a simple, common water pump..... That was before I discovered Hoye tractor and very shortly be for I bought the 790.

Hoye tractor has a pump that looked Identical to the 790 water pump and less than half of what deere wanted. I contacted them about it with engine numbers and such and its application and they had no idea if it would work.

Seems funny such a common, wide used engine parts and information are hard to find.

Can be very difficult to go to a pump/yanmar dealer to get parts for the JD badged yanmars as they have no cross ref information for those specific serial numbers used in the jd cuts. I would assume this is part of an agreement between Deere and Yanmar.. ie I will buy your engines but you can not tell your distributors any specifics on them. This is very similar to what kind of visibility a Kawasaki dealer has relating to engine s/n's for Deere machines.

/ rebuild a waterpump for a 790/3005 anyone?? #5  
Can be very difficult to go to a pump/yanmar dealer to get parts for the JD badged yanmars as they have no cross ref information for those specific serial numbers used in the jd cuts. I would assume this is part of an agreement between Deere and Yanmar.. ie I will buy your engines but you can not tell your distributors any specifics on them. This is very similar to what kind of visibility a Kawasaki dealer has relating to engine s/n's for Deere machines.

I had no problem when I needed some injection pump parts. The pump shop was quite familiar with the parts, and the engine, water pump might be a different story but I would not give up on it.

/ rebuild a waterpump for a 790/3005 anyone?? #6  
Absolutly if you know someone familiar with the individual parts they can be a great help. Where it is tough is when you attempt to find the yanmar items related to the engine number and s/n. Irrigation shops have always been my first spot to check when direct Yanmar engine parts are needed they seem to have the best knowledge on the power units themselves as that is the main industry that actually see's engine failures due to their high hours and rough environment. Not to say other industries don't see the occasional failure just seems to be higher in the irrigation world in my experience.