Recommendations for a diesel fuel storage tank

/ Recommendations for a diesel fuel storage tank #1  

Sean2202

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L305DT
Greetings,

Curious what you all use for a farm or business fuel storage tank. We may be looking to add one to my in laws farm along with an electric pump. Currently we use 5 Gallon cans but for simplicity sake of budgeting and buying in bulk looking into a storage tank. One thing I do want to consider and have to explore more is if the tank would have to be enclosed in a concrete case because of nearby water ways or if there are double wall storage tanks out there that would work.

Just starting to get ideas here so any recommendations are welcome.

Sean

/ Recommendations for a diesel fuel storage tank #2  
Lots of previous threads, but really, it's all about your anticipated volume. Some bulk suppliers will set tanks, but that generally want 500 gallons or more usage per year.

As far as requirements, check with local authorities. In the NE, they can change every few miles down the road.

/ Recommendations for a diesel fuel storage tank #3  
Use a 50 gallon cube with 12v pump. fits nicely in the pickup or on the flatbed trailer when needed.
Fill it twice a year with offroad diesel

/ Recommendations for a diesel fuel storage tank #4  
   / Recommendations for a diesel fuel storage tank #5  
I just went to a local tool supply house and bought one to suit my needs.
100G filled twice a year is ample for my usage.
Local shipper has a 100G minimum order.
All I need to is keep 2-3 empty 5 gal tanks around for overage.
Never let the tank get empty.

/ Recommendations for a diesel fuel storage tank #6  
I just went to a local tool supply house and bought one to suit my needs.
100G filled twice a year is ample for my usage.
Local shipper has a 100G minimum order.
All I need to is keep 2-3 empty 5 gal tanks around for overage.
Never let the tank get empty.

How much are you paying for delivered fuel vs. local pump prices?

I *assume* we're talking ref dyed farm fuel as well.

/ Recommendations for a diesel fuel storage tank #7  
I'd strongly suggest plastic (PVC) tanks, perhaps even 2-3 poly barrels as poly deters condensation, won't rust etc,
I'd suggest barrels as they are all colored vs the 'totes' that are white PVC that deteriorates from UV over a short time.

For pumping I discovered 2 inch transfer pumps on the net from China that will run on 12 (or 24) volts in the $20.00 price range.
Have used mine for 4 years now and really like it. Not super fast but very acceptable.
No more hoisting and spilling 5 gal containers for me.
Like so much that I have a spare on hand 'just in case'.
They come with a power cord, switch and battery clips but I installed a dedicated Anderson connector just for fueling convenience.
Note the say for fuel only, not gas. (DC pump is submerged in the fuel)

/ Recommendations for a diesel fuel storage tank #8  
I'd strongly suggest plastic (PVC) tanks, perhaps even 2-3 poly barrels as poly deters condensation, won't rust etc,
I'd suggest barrels as they are all colored vs the 'totes' that are white PVC that deteriorates from UV over a short time.

For pumping I discovered 2 inch transfer pumps on the net from China that will run on 12 (or 24) volts in the $20.00 price range.
Have used mine for 4 years now and really like it. Not super fast but very acceptable.
No more hoisting and spilling 5 gal containers for me.
Like so much that I have a spare on hand 'just in case'.
They come with a power cord, switch and battery clips but I installed a dedicated Anderson connector just for fueling convenience.
Note the say for fuel only, not gas. (DC pump is submerged in the fuel)

Can you suggest an internet source for the type of pump you mention?
Princess Auto is currently not available to me, because our respective governments have decided that we just might contaminate each other.
Hogwash !!!!

/ Recommendations for a diesel fuel storage tank #9  
may I suggest?

P8050013.jpg

P8050014.jpg

/ Recommendations for a diesel fuel storage tank #10  
Can you suggest an internet source for the type of pump you mention?
Princess Auto is currently not available to me, because our respective governments have decided that we just might contaminate each other.
Hogwash !!!!

I found them on Alibaba, simple search should locate them easily.
Enter 'fuel transfer pump'.
Shipping slow and that's why I ordered a spare 'just in case'.

Have 2 friends now using them as well.

Previously I had a crank type transfer pump but over time the vanes rusted and there was no repair possibility.
One friend fuels a big loader with large tank but likes it as he has time to grease the zerks while fueling.
His is the 24 volt version.

I discovered that these pumps are essentially a version of marine 'bilge pumps'.