Red fluid coming from bell housing?

/ Red fluid coming from bell housing? #1  

loggin

Platinum Member
Tractor
MX4700
My MX4700DT front wheel assisted tractor seems to have a slow leak at the bell housing pin that sticks out at the bottom. The thing that I find a little perplexing is that the fluid has a red tinge to it much like transmission fluid. It does not look like engine oil, it is far too clean for that. The only other thing it could be is hydraulic fluid. But I use Kubota UDT which is quite neutral in color. I am wondering if the clutch lining might have a reddish color to it and that it's the dust from the lining in the bell housing that is turning the fluid slightly reddish. Can't figure out where this red fluid would be coming from.

Has anyone out there replaced a clutch and noticed the color of the clutch lining or any reddish dust in the bell housing?

/ Red fluid coming from bell housing? #2  
Loggin, since you mentioned a clutch does the clutch use a hydraulic slave cylinder on the bell housing? If so I'd say that it's leaking.

/ Red fluid coming from bell housing?
Loggin, since you mentioned a clutch does the clutch use a hydraulic slave cylinder on the bell housing? If so I'd say that it's leaking.

Thank you for your reply DonRybak and your suggestion is a good one, although I am quite certain it is a mechanically actuate clutch.

Do you use off-road diesel?

Thank you for your reply but I do not use off-road diesel. Always get my fuel from top tier gas station.

/ Red fluid coming from bell housing? #6  
It may be tractor blood. Be careful.

/ Red fluid coming from bell housing? #7  
My MX4700DT front wheel assisted tractor seems to have a slow leak at the bell housing pin that sticks out at the bottom. The thing that I find a little perplexing is that the fluid has a red tinge to it much like transmission fluid. It does not look like engine oil, it is far too clean for that. The only other thing it could be is hydraulic fluid. But I use Kubota UDT which is quite neutral in color. I am wondering if the clutch lining might have a reddish color to it and that it's the dust from the lining in the bell housing that is turning the fluid slightly reddish. Can't figure out where this red fluid would be coming from.

Has anyone out there replaced a clutch and noticed the color of the clutch lining or any reddish dust in the bell housing?
Possibly seepage from the liquid part of the grease used to lube the front axle pivots, running back through the front drive shaft tube into the clutch housing.

/ Red fluid coming from bell housing? #9  
Rusty water/condensation? Touch it, it is slick like oil? Does it smell?

Thank you all for your feedback!!

It definitely looks like tractor blood.

Grease from the front end could be a possibility. Though it would have to travel a fair bit. I will have to find some time to check.

My axle oil is not dyed. Switched to 80w90 from UDT.

Definitely not water. It is oil and has a burgundy color to it. It does not look like a rusty color.

Still wondering if anyone knows what color the clutch lining material is?

Also not looking forward to splitting the tractor to find out!!