Red Fox - Should I be Concerned?

/ Red Fox - Should I be Concerned? #1  

JTC

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4010
I have the mother of all fox dens about 200' from the house and about 40' from the driveway. This thing is built into a hill side with 3 entrances spaced about 15' apart with a 4' mound of sandy soil near the center main entrance. My wife has seen the fox once this spring crossing the driveway, I haven't seen it yet but this doesn't suprise me since these guys can be very elusive.

The den has been there since we moved in about 4 years ago. Some years it looked vacant, at other times I could see signs of minor activity, fresh dirt out front. This spring, it looks to be very active with lots of fresh dirt and a noticeable trail system in the area. I wouldn't be suprised if there is a fox litter in it this spring. The neighbors said there was one in the past there.

The problem is my 8 year old daughter was riding her scooter in the driveway when she says it came out of the woods toward her, not really in a threatening way but got about 8' away before her 7 month old yellow lab ran it off. I usually like the wildlife around but the proximity and this incident has got me thinking, especially if it has pups.

Should I be concerned?

Between the fox and the bear that has taken up residence in the neighborhood, my wife is going crazy.

Jim

/ Red Fox - Should I be Concerned? #2  
My take on the Red Fox is that they USED to be exceedingly shy and avoid humans at all cost.

Since they are losing so much habitat, they have understandably lost some of their shyness.

This is a problem, as you stated, if you have animals, stock or small children around.

My advice would be to get a humane trap, and relocate the animal. Don't forget he is making a major contribution to rodent control on your property though.

It's not his fault he's where he is. But you can do a solid for both him/her and your family by either letting the situation be and hope there's not an incident or moving the animal to a more suitable location.

As someone who doesn't presently own any chickens, ducks or fowl, they sure are pretty.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Red Fox - Should I be Concerned? #3  
<font color="blue">Should I be concerned?
</font>

Are you a rabbit ??? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Generally, as long as the animal doesn't feel threatened, you should be fine. I'd really watch outdoor feed, trash and other munchies that will draw the animals close to your home allowing for a possible confrontation.

Additionally, Rabies may become a concern. Talk to your local animal control officer and get the local spin.

/ Red Fox - Should I be Concerned? #4  
They make short work of any groundhog carcasses laying around the place. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif There is always the possibility of them contracting rabies, most likely from skunks. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Red Fox - Should I be Concerned? #5  
My only concern would be for small pets (bunnies, chickens, cats, etc) on your property...and for rabies. Here in Vermont the state is conducting aerial drops of bait containing rabies vaccine. I asked for, and was given, a bucket of the stuff to spread around my hillside as a way of vaccinating the local skunks and foxes. Is that an option where you live?

Pete

/ Red Fox - Should I be Concerned? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue">Should I be concerned?
</font>

Are you a rabbit ??? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
)</font>

Or a chicken /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Red Fox - Should I be Concerned? #7  
I would call animal control and see what they say. Also, you can try and contact a Zoo. Maybe they'll take them and give 'em a new home. Rabies would be my biggest concern of all. Good luck. G

/ Red Fox - Should I be Concerned? #8  
In terms of risk of exposure to rabies, remember the food chain - many lower, few higher.

Although one fox may be a risk (and the fact that the fox seems healthy and is raising a family decreases that risk), for every fox there are hundreds of skunks, racoons, bats, etc... that may have rabies. Risk is proportional and relative. Besides, if bitten there is a vaccine to protect you from rabies.

Personally, I'd enjoy the fox and its family, and be thankful I can live somewhere where fox also live. I would, however, instuct my kids to stay away from the den so that the parent's protective instincts don't kick-in.

/ Red Fox - Should I be Concerned? #9  
right on, enjoy the fox, you are lucky to beable to watch.

/ Red Fox - Should I be Concerned? #10  
Red Foxx - should I be concerned?

Only if your name is Lamont, you big dummy!

Sorry couldn't resist. Sanford and Son was a great show though.

We have a simple rule at our house, if you don't bother us, we won't bother you. We have numerous critters that call our property home and we enjoy seeing them all at a safe distance.

The only two that we keep a special lookout for are the bobcat and black bear. We know where they like to be and generally stay away from that area. They know where we like to be and generally stay away from us.

Having said that we do take precautions. No food, people or animal, ever left outside. No bird feeders. No berry bushes. Cat stays inside. Dogs don't run loose. Garbage kept in the garage. We make noise when we are walking around. If we are going in the woods (most of the property) the wolfhound always comes with us. My daughter knows the rules too. And she instructs her friends when they are over.

Should one of the animals start to get to brazen we will deal with it promptly. Respect and enjoy nature and have a safety plan in place for your family.

Jack