Red Head Pitched A Fit!

/ Red Head Pitched A Fit! #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
Boy Howdy! If you ain't never seen a red head pitch a fit....you need to. :laughing: I worked night shift 6pm-6am the last week. She went to walk her little dogs and came back to the house "pitching a fit". It seems that it is MY Fault that a coyote ran right by her on said journey. Yes, there are coyotes down in the woods behind the house. Yes, I get them on game-cam occasionally. No, I am not going out hunting a coyote after working all night....certainly not right now, as she demanded. When I drove up the drive this morning after working all night, the same one that has been hanging around ran across in front of me. Those things can run about 40mph from what I read recently. It was sure streaking it. I guess I'm going to have to do something. I can get a nuisance permit from the game warden to shoot them night/day and that would make it a little easier. I need to get the hurt rabbit call and the little tail thing on a rod that twitches like a rabbit or such. I don't know which is more annoying...a 60 year old red head or the coyote...lol :confused2: When I told her this morning that it had zoomed across the drive....she had another fit because she had just let her two cats outside. Guess that is one way to get rid of house cats....not really, they are nice cats (at least as a cat can be, which is something a little lower than having an angry honey badger snarling just before gnawing your finger off). This particular coyote does not seem to be that worried about us living in "his" territory. My oldest son across the road shot to run it off and it still came back the next day. :mad: Well, shes been putting up with me for 40 years in May, so I can earn those supposed browny points (that are never around when I need them) by dressing up like Rambo and going down in the woods and doing all kinds of crazy shooting and tell her, "Yep, got 'em all". :laughing:

/ Red Head Pitched A Fit! #2  
I live out on the far side of nowhere and have always had, at least, three identifiable packs of coyotes. I enjoy going out in the yard in the early evening and listening to them "talk". Over the last 35 years I've been here, they have come into the yard at night and taken many of my outside cats.

I use to worry about them taking the cats and I hunted them with VERY limited success. Then, after a couple years, I realized WE were encroaching on their space and the cats would just have to learn to be cautious at night. Between the owls & coyotes I'm now down to zero cats - they never learned.

Last year, over a three week period, the neighbor was able to bag seventeen coyotes. He raises cattle and the coyotes do take a calf, now and then. He was pleased with his success but noticed that there was little to no reduction in the number of coyotes in his area at night.

I've talked to the local game biologist about this and he says - there are always more waiting "in the wings" to replace those that die/are killed and while the numbers may momentarily decline - any area will soon be back up to its optimum numbers again by those "in the wings" moving into the inner circle.

In our area, at least, there will always be lots of coyotes and any outside animal will always be considered prey to them.

/ Red Head Pitched A Fit! #3  
I shoot as many as I can, which isn't very many. Every cat I have ever had has disappeared. I guess most are to coyotes since I've seen their tracks close to the house when it happens. I did have one cat get tore up real bad that looked more like a fight with a raccoon then anything else, but who knows. Now I'm loosing the occasional chicken to them. Just like cats, when they wander off, there is no protecting them. The only solution that I'm aware of is going to be a coyote proof fence. I'm clearing the property line, but it's slow going.

/ Red Head Pitched A Fit! #4  
Shoo that coyote over to Georgia where they have the mistaken idea that controlling the coyotes is somehow going to make the natural balance of wildlife more in balance. No wolves to eat deer. Deer have no preditors in urban and suburban areas except cars. I have hunted deer with cars and trucks. That is an expensive way to hunt.

/ Red Head Pitched A Fit! #5  
I live out on the far side of nowhere and have always had, at least, three identifiable packs of coyotes. I enjoy going out in the yard in the early evening and listening to them "talk". Over the last 35 years I've been here, they have come into the yard at night and taken many of my outside cats. I use to worry about them taking the cats and I hunted them with VERY limited success. Then, after a couple years, I realized WE were encroaching on their space and the cats would just have to learn to be cautious at night. Between the owls & coyotes I'm now down to zero cats - they never learned. Last year, over a three week period, the neighbor was able to bag seventeen coyotes. He raises cattle and the coyotes do take a calf, now and then. He was pleased with his success but noticed that there was little to no reduction in the number of coyotes in his area at night. I've talked to the local game biologist about this and he says - there are always more waiting "in the wings" to replace those that die/are killed and while the numbers may momentarily decline - any area will soon be back up to its optimum numbers again by those "in the wings" moving into the inner circle. In our area, at least, there will always be lots of coyotes and any outside animal will always be considered prey to them.

Well, if you guys wouldn't keep feeding theme cats, then there wouldn't be so many!😜

/ Red Head Pitched A Fit! #6  
Over here on the northwest side we have our share of coyotes and they have taken a few cats that are dumb enough to go into the woods. To protect our chickens from the coyotes, we got a couple of donkeys plus use electric fencing. The first thing the donkeys did was to stop the bobcat from coming around.

/ Red Head Pitched A Fit! #7  
I heard of a guy that puts meat scraps out for them under a yard light, and has a motion sensor wired to a buzzer in the house. Apparently he kills dozens of them this way.

/ Red Head Pitched A Fit! #8  
I've hunted over deer carcasses that way for years during fur season. Most distinctive sound on the alerts is fox. They dart back & forth several times and stay long enough to get a shot. Skunk and possum are more common arrivals than 'coon or coyote and if shot aren't much for bait. lol

btw, I heard that fur prices are coming back a little, but this is all we had by the end of this season, including a few from last ... and YT.
fur crop.jpg

Cull what you can. It can be fun doing battle even if you won't win the war. :D

/ Red Head Pitched A Fit! #9  
Not up here. DNR has announced a lottery. Each dead coyote gets an entry.

Georgia wildlife officials try contest to trim coyote population
Shoo that coyote over to Georgia where they have the mistaken idea that controlling the coyotes is somehow going to make the natural balance of wildlife more in balance. No wolves to eat deer. Deer have no preditors in urban and suburban areas except cars. I have hunted deer with cars and trucks. That is an expensive way to hunt.

/ Red Head Pitched A Fit! #10  
One of my wife's nephews wanted to hunt coyotes on our property. He had entered some sort of contest and wanted to stake a small dog out for bait and hunt by spot light. I told him no, that is no way to treat a dog. He found another location, I think he got 24 coyotes in 24hr period. They come in pretty close in our backyard.