Redneck Crane

/ Redneck Crane #1  

TnAndy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar LX410...IHI 35J excavator Woodmizer LT40
Neighbor I sold 33ac to is building his house. I helped him set the floor trusses the other day using my mini-excavator. Didn't have near enough reach, so we took the bucket off, strapped/chained a 16' 6x6 to the stick, and it worked like a charm. Yeah.....I know....not OSHA approved....don't try this at home...... :D

enhance

/ Redneck Crane #2  
Smart. I have something similar with my front loader bucket. I burned three holes in the side of the bucket and bolt on the top part of an engine lift. I've thought about doing something longer for setting trusses, but haven't done anything towards that yet.

/ Redneck Crane #3  
Good old American ingenuity!

/ Redneck Crane
Smart. I have something similar with my front loader bucket. I burned three holes in the side of the bucket and bolt on the top part of an engine lift. I've thought about doing something longer for setting trusses, but haven't done anything towards that yet.

Yeah, I kept trying to think of something with a plate that would mate up to the bucket quick attach on the mini-ex, but that looked like a lot of work and welding for a one time job.....so we came up with the 6x6 as a solution. Trusses only weighed about 170lbs ea, so not a lot of weight out there, but dragging them across the basement wall, lifting the far wall by hand seemed like a lot of work to me....hence the 'crane'. For his roof trusses, he will have to hire the real deal.....ain't strapping a 30' 6x6 to the stick. :D

/ Redneck Crane #5  
I like the idea! We took a 16' long 6" piece of pipe and beveled the end to weld a plate too. Then burnt 4 holes on the plate to bolt it to the inside of the backhoe bucket then we welded hooks on the outside corners of the bucket to chain binder the pole in the center against the lip of the bucket and used that to set trusses. Sorry no pics, I was a young kid when that happened and it was for a pole barn!

/ Redneck Crane #6  
I've done that and it works very well. As long as you are not under the load there is no safety problem.

/ Redneck Crane #7  
I have done that with a 6 X 6 X 18' clamped/chained and binded it to a 6000 lb forklift fork.
Worked very well with the lift and tilt of the forklift.
But never do it on a commercial job!