Reducing bush hog can opener effect

/ Reducing bush hog can opener effect #1  

compact

Silver Member
Tractor
Deere 3520
I ground a smooth curve into the trailing edge tips of the suction blades and rounded the top. Kind of golf ball shaped on the top edge. It makes a smooth welt on the deck instead of a sharp crease or tear. 3 years now and I think its working well.

/ Reducing bush hog can opener effect #2  
I must say that I'm not familiar with any suction blades on bush hogs. I never have noticed a "can opener" effect either. Are you saying that the blades are hitting the underside of the deck? If that's what's happening, I'd say that you have a much bigger problem than how the ends of the blades are shaped. Could you 'splain a little more?

Just as a general rule, I am pretty dense, so maybe it's just me...............

/ Reducing bush hog can opener effect #3  
I also don't understand the issue OR the fix. No bush hog I ever saw had "suction blades" and not sure what is meant by can opener effect.
More response and maybe a photo by the OP please.

/ Reducing bush hog can opener effect #4  
I get it... seen many old, beat, rusty brush hog decks with a ring worn into them where the tips of the blades have beat it up... some bad enough where it looks like a big can opener did it...

Some blades are flat at the cutting tip, others, like mine, are bent up to create 'lift' or suction to lift the grass for a cleaner even cut, like a lawn mower blade...

My guess is that years of bouncing off things on the ground sends the blades rebounding towards the deck, and once there's a bit of wear on the shoulder bolts the hold the blades to the pan, there's enough loose movement to allow this scenario to take place...

/ Reducing bush hog can opener effect
image.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Dieselcrawler is correct. Photo of early dent with sharp cornered blade, with later dent from rounded. 1st dent also has been hit a few times since with rounded edge blades. About 300 acres on the cutter at this point. Stealth rocks are a fact of life in many northern new england pastures, pretty much any light / medium duty cutter will collect these.

/ Reducing bush hog can opener effect #6  
Yes, they make suction blades for bush hogs. Thats all I use.

Yes I have seem many decks that look like a can-opener cut it up.

The issue is not because a high lift blade was used. The issue is you have something wore out. Either the gearbox, the output shaft, stump jumper, or blade bolts. The Blades should NEVER contact the deck.

Grinding the high lift wing is a band-aid fix masking a bigger problem

/ Reducing bush hog can opener effect #7  
Likely new blades and matching new shoulder bolts will tighten up the amount of up travel in the blades... or, like my dad's brush hog, you use it for 30 years and just buy a new one, cause the whole thing is junk by then!

/ Reducing bush hog can opener effect #8  
When you hit a lot of rocks, the blades will bend up over time. The more they bed, the more likely they are to make contact with the underside of the deck the next time they hit a rock. (Voice of experience here. Simply replacing the blades fixed that problem.)

/ Reducing bush hog can opener effect #9  
You could have a band/ring of steel rolled and then weld it to the bottom of the deck. Standard equipment on some cutters.