Reducing pollution is contributing to global warming?

/ Reducing pollution is contributing to global warming? #1  

mikester

Elite Member
Tractor
M59 TLB
I had a chuckle reading this article

In summary, some scientists are saying reducing sulphur emissions and sulphur content in our fuels might be contributing to global warming. Governments are mandating lower sulphur contents because sulphur compounds are bad for the environment. Researchers say these aerosolized sulphur compounds reflect sunlight. The effect of lowering sulphur emissions might be contributing to global warming.

/ Reducing pollution is contributing to global warming? #2  
Yes, it is a very real effect that having less sulfate, and less black carbon in the air (from polluting vehicles, and especially coal fired power plants) paradoxically warms the planet as more sunlight makes it to ground level.

Metaphorically, we have been pooping in our own bed for too long and cleaning up is going to have lots of challenges.

All the best,

Peter

/ Reducing pollution is contributing to global warming? #4  
So maybe Volkswagen was right? Having an engine that burns more efficiently and uses less fuel was better?
:ROFLMAO:

Not exactly as the "efficient" diesels were producing a lot of nitric oxides, in addition to the soot. (PM 2.5) The nitric oxides are a key component to smog and ground level ozone which is hard on everybody's lungs.

It does mean that China switching to more solar and phasing out more coal fired plants has positives for the long run, and negative impacts in the short run as far as global warming goes. Other global issues include India's use of low, low, low quality coals that is just ugly in so many dimensions of local pollution, global pollution, and terrible power plant efficiency because the coal contains so much clay/rock besides the carbon.

We have made some progress; Pittsburgh used to need streetlights during the day time, and men routinely changed their shirts at lunchtime because the air quality was so bad.
-1x-1.jpg

-1x-1.jpg

Corner of Liberty and Fifth Avenues 10:55 AM" 1940

Long term, I think electric vehicles and solar have some nice synergies in terms of being able to absorb energy easily from rooftops to cars in a way that doesn't really "care" about the variable nature of solar power. In many areas already, e.g. Hawaii, peak solar already puts too much energy back into the system. More electric vehicles mean more places for it to go. Near term, there are a slew of things that need to happen, like more electric vehicles, more batteries, more charging stations, more solar, and more ways to recycle them. Early days.

Personally, I look forward to cleaner air, and cleaner water. I'm not that old, but lots of lakes that were clear when I was a kid aren't any more.

All the best,

Peter

/ Reducing pollution is contributing to global warming? #5  
Not something that concerns me at all really. Those have to be the flattest pictures of P'Burg I've ever seen.

/ Reducing pollution is contributing to global warming? #6  
:ROFLMAO:

Not exactly as the "efficient" diesels were producing a lot of nitric oxides, in addition to the soot. (PM 2.5) The nitric oxides are a key component to smog and ground level ozone which is hard on everybody's lungs.

It does mean that China switching to more solar and phasing out more coal fired plants has positives for the long run, and negative impacts in the short run as far as global warming goes. Other global issues include India's use of low, low, low quality coals that is just ugly in so many dimensions of local pollution, global pollution, and terrible power plant efficiency because the coal contains so much clay/rock besides the carbon.

We have made some progress; Pittsburgh used to need streetlights during the day time, and men routinely changed their shirts at lunchtime because the air quality was so bad.
-1x-1.jpg

-1x-1.jpg

Corner of Liberty and Fifth Avenues 10:55 AM" 1940

Long term, I think electric vehicles and solar have some nice synergies in terms of being able to absorb energy easily from rooftops to cars in a way that doesn't really "care" about the variable nature of solar power. In many areas already, e.g. Hawaii, peak solar already puts too much energy back into the system. More electric vehicles mean more places for it to go. Near term, there are a slew of things that need to happen, like more electric vehicles, more batteries, more charging stations, more solar, and more ways to recycle them. Early days.

Personally, I look forward to cleaner air, and cleaner water. I'm not that old, but lots of lakes that were clear when I was a kid aren't any more.

All the best,

Peter
Do you have any idea of how devastating the clean air has been to thousands of families that were able to make a living when Pittsburg meant steel? The pollution did not magickly go away it was relocated to China and India. Wheeling Steel had around 14,000 people working and puff the jobs were gone. All the related jobs of coal mining, ore mining, train and rail traffic, stores, restaurants, trucking, etc all gone. Did the pollution stop? No, but the poverty and despair sure did increase. The money went overseas along with the pollution. Along with the control of the pollution since the US government has little influence on companies in other countries.

Look at the pollution costs of producing green energy. Where do you think all the lithium comes from? Mining from the earth. The pollution from the production of the batteries and solar panels are something to worry about. But that is OK because they are labeled "green". And do not forget about the disposal of the materials after they are used up.

The political costs are high as well. China and Russia control much of the minerals that are needed to produce the new green energy.

Sorry but the green energy is nothing but a pipe dream. Look at the economic impact that it is have on you and your family. The picture is not at all rosy.

/ Reducing pollution is contributing to global warming? #7  
Sulfur compounds have to be in the stratosphere to limit insolation. Volcanic explosions lift them up there. At ground level where vehicle exhaust and smoke stacks are, they contribute to acid rain.

/ Reducing pollution is contributing to global warming? #8  
Oh, here we go again. :cautious: It takes hydrogen ions to make acid, not carbon or sulfur alone. There's naturally occurring compounds that provide the ingredients for "acid rain". It will be there long after man has legislated himself out of existence.

/ Reducing pollution is contributing to global warming? #9  
So maybe Volkswagen was right? Having an engine that burns more efficiently and uses less fuel was better?
The fuel “waste” savings in diesel trucks without emissions….yeah. We’ve done stupid things to Diesel engines to make the evil black smoke become clear smoke.

/ Reducing pollution is contributing to global warming? #10  
Do you have any idea of how devastating the clean air has been to thousands of families that were able to make a living when Pittsburg meant steel? The pollution did not magickly go away it was relocated to China and India. Wheeling Steel had around 14,000 people working and puff the jobs were gone. All the related jobs of coal mining, ore mining, train and rail traffic, stores, restaurants, trucking, etc all gone. Did the pollution stop? No, but the poverty and despair sure did increase. The money went overseas along with the pollution. Along with the control of the pollution since the US government has little influence on companies in other countries.

Look at the pollution costs of producing green energy. Where do you think all the lithium comes from? Mining from the earth. The pollution from the production of the batteries and solar panels are something to worry about. But that is OK because they are labeled "green". And do not forget about the disposal of the materials after they are used up.

The political costs are high as well. China and Russia control much of the minerals that are needed to produce the new green energy.

Sorry but the green energy is nothing but a pipe dream. Look at the economic impact that it is have on you and your family. The picture is not at all rosy.
What‘s worse, is the Chinese are making the same pollution IN 2022!
At least we cleaned up what little industry we have left.

As far as the lithium, cobalt and other metals needed to make chinese car batteries, is mining for those metals worse than fracking? I bet it is.
I bet fracking is cleaner & safer than mining for lithium in Africa. I bet we also do a much better job paying our people and giving them benefits than the abused people in Africa mining lithium for those chinese made car batteries.