Regarding L3200 HST power and loader work....

/ Regarding L3200 HST power and loader work.... #1  

familyman

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800HST
At this point I believe I have decided on trading up to an L3200, HST.

My main uses will be clearing and digging work, ie., FEL digging and hauling, dragging my 6' boxblade and rake, pulling a middle buster, using my backhoe. I will also be mowing with a 5' finish mower, which doesn't worry me.

I found a thread here where an L3200 owner complained of a lack of power when using his HST below 1500 RPM. I realize that one of the trade-offs of HST vs gear is having to run the engine at a constant speed for the HST, vs modulating the foot throttle with a gear transmission.

My L2800 only seemed down on power when trying to run up an incline on the road in 4H, but the rest of the time it got along fine. In fact, when doing the above listed chores, I would run out of traction before I ran out of power. I'm guessing that the 4 added hp of the L3200 will be even better in that regard, but I'm wondering if the L3800 is the better choice for my applications?

I'll add that I don't have big PTO power needs. I may one day have a 5' brush hog, but for now, finish mowing is it.

/ Regarding L3200 HST power and loader work.... #2  
First off, howdy neighbor! I live in the same county as you.

Regarding the tractor purchase, are you aware of the "jerky hitch" problems on those models? You can spend hours reading all the threads on this subject.

Also, which one of the local dealers are you planning on buying from? Just curious...

/ Regarding L3200 HST power and loader work....
Howdy to you, too!

I'm well versed in the "jerky hitch" issue. My L2800 has it and it's an '06, so it's as bad as they come. I've learned to live with it, which is not to say I like it.
I've also read enough threads to understand that the newer L's aren't as bad, if they have it at all. If I get a bad one, I'll be installing the flow control valve that someone here (Brian?) recommended: Surplus Center - SAE 8 HYD FLOW CONTROL VALVE RD108-8

As for which dealer, I won't say just now because I'm still negotiating.

However, I will tell you this; I bought my tractor from Erb and Henry, in Boyertown. They are an established and experienced dealer whose service has been exemplary. The reliability/honesty factor is significant. Price isn't everything, by any means.

As I said, I'm still exploring but nearly there. I'm just wondering if the L3200 HST can do what I want. I'm certain that the gear model would be more than able, but I'm new to HST.

/ Regarding L3200 HST power and loader work.... #4  
Howdy to you, too!

I'm well versed in the "jerky hitch" issue. My L2800 has it and it's an '06, so it's as bad as they come. I've learned to live with it, which is not to say I like it.
I've also read enough threads to understand that the newer L's aren't as bad, if they have it at all. If I get a bad one, I'll be installing the flow control valve that someone here (Brian?) recommended: Surplus Center - SAE 8 HYD FLOW CONTROL VALVE RD108-8

As for which dealer, I won't say just now because I'm still negotiating.

However, I will tell you this; I bought my tractor from Erb and Henry, in Boyertown. They are an established and experienced dealer whose service has been exemplary. The reliability/honesty factor is significant. Price isn't everything, by any means.

As I said, I'm still exploring but nearly there. I'm just wondering if the L3200 HST can do what I want. I'm certain that the gear model would be more than able, but I'm new to HST.

You will absolutely love the HST for loader work. And as for power you will run out of traction long before you run out of power. Even ballasted correctly, the tractor will still spin all the tires in LOW range when pushing up against a immovable object.. no worries.

James K0UA

/ Regarding L3200 HST power and loader work....
James, thank you. That's what I suspected, but it pays to ask.
Asking also saves me the difference in $ between models... I want to get what I need, not pay for what I don't.

/ Regarding L3200 HST power and loader work.... #6  
James, thank you. That's what I suspected, but it pays to ask.
Asking also saves me the difference in $ between models... I want to get what I need, not pay for what I don't.

Cool.. I am not saying the L3800 extra power wouldn't come in handy like when pulling a rotary cutter in tall stuff. or maybe a PTO generator, but you aren't going to have any trouble with you L3200 for the Loader work. Of course the resale is slightly higher on a L3800 if that is of any concern.. also the resale of either tractor in HST vs. gear is higher, because it appeals to a wider audience as a second buyer. But getting just what you need is why they make so many models of these tractors.:)

James K0UA

/ Regarding L3200 HST power and loader work.... #7  
The L3200 will do all you ask. Good luck! :)

/ Regarding L3200 HST power and loader work.... #8  
hello familyman, i am curious what your reason is to move from the 2800 to the 3200? other than HST it would seem the change is nominal (ie a few more HP and some body enhancements)..

/ Regarding L3200 HST power and loader work.... #10  
hello familyman, i am curious what your reason is to move from the 2800 to the 3200? other than HST it would seem the change is nominal (ie a few more HP and some body enhancements)..

I was wondering the same thing myself.

Familyman- you'll be fine power wise w/ the L3200 but I think you will struggle to do any real work at 1500 rpm. Putting around lifting free standing objects but thats about it. I have a L4400 and I need to be at least 2 -2200 rpms to do anything decent, and near full throttle for serious work. Although my tractor is larger than a 3200 and needs the power to move it.