Relatively Cheap and Simple Woods SS74 Snowblower Hydraulic Chute Rotator Conversion

/ Relatively Cheap and Simple Woods SS74 Snowblower Hydraulic Chute Rotator Conversion #1  

bdhsfz6

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800 HST & L6060 HSTC Formerly L6060 HST B7100 HST, L2550, L3010 HST, L3430 HST
Back in 2004 when I bought my old Woods SS74 3 pt snowblower, the price for the hydraulic chute rotator option was almost $800. Since the manual crank was easily operated from the seat of my Kubota L3010, I decided to save the money. Now, on my newer L6060 and MX5800 Kubotas, the crank is more difficult to reach and often requires getting off the tractor to adjust.

PIC 1.jpg

For the last 3 years, I've been looking at tractor powered conversion kits. Since I have 3 rear remotes on my tractors, I decided on hydraulic over electric. The hydraulic kit for the SS74 was discontinued some time ago and the kit for the newer SB74 is around $675. The SB74 kit would require modification to fit the older SS74 and it only includes chute rotation, not deflector angle adjustment. Shopping around, I came across this Woodmax kit for $475 : Hydraulic Chute Rotator & Deflector Kit It includes almost everything required and for $200 less, it includes a hyd. cylinder for deflector angle adjustment.

PIC 2.jpg PIC 3.jpg

Mounting the hyd. motor was simple. It required only a 16" piece of 5" channel and 2 U bolts.

PIC 4.jpg PIC 5.jpg

To allow for minor shaft misalignment, I used a $17 3 jaw coupler to connect the motor to the pinion shaft. To prevent the high torque hydraulic motor from stripping the teeth off the pinion gear, I added a Prince dual crossover relief valve I had laying around.

PIC 6.jpg PIC 6A.jpg

I had to relocate the deflector adjustment mounting brackets to accommodate the 1 X 4 hyd. cylinder by grinding off the welds and re-welding about 4" farther down the chute.

PIC 7.jpg PIC 8.jpg

The project took around 9 hours and cost just under $500. Yes, I'm sure there are cheaper ways to do this but I don't mind spending a few extra $$ to save time and have a quality finished product.

PIC 9.jpg

The motor, cylinder, hoses and fittings could have been ordered separately for around $350 but the mounting bracket that came with the kit made the project much simpler. To me, the labor saving was worth the extra $125. The versatility of this included bracket would make it easily adaptable to other make and model snowblowers.

/ Relatively Cheap and Simple Woods SS74 Snowblower Hydraulic Chute Rotator Conversion #2  
Well done. The crossover relief valve is a nice touch. What sort of pressure does the motor need to rotate the chute?

/ Relatively Cheap and Simple Woods SS74 Snowblower Hydraulic Chute Rotator Conversion
Well done. The crossover relief valve is a nice touch. What sort of pressure does the motor need to rotate the chute?

With the pressure control adjusters backed out all the way on the crossover relief valve, the motor stalls. The prince valve is rated at 500 to 1500 psi but with it adjusted this way, I suspect it will go into bypass at pressures lower than 500 psi. I'll have to dig out my pressure gauge and take some measurements.

/ Relatively Cheap and Simple Woods SS74 Snowblower Hydraulic Chute Rotator Conversion #4  
Do you have what size jaw coupler you used? I was going to copy your build but wanted to order all ahead of time

/ Relatively Cheap and Simple Woods SS74 Snowblower Hydraulic Chute Rotator Conversion
Last edited: