Relieving Hydraulic Pressure - Best Method?

/ Relieving Hydraulic Pressure - Best Method? #31  
Instead of pounding on the connections, why not just buy a couple of cheap female connectors and put them on one of the male connectors in each circuit? If pressure never builds up, there's nothing to relieve. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Relieving Hydraulic Pressure - Best Method? #32  
osconda
I HAVE THE SAME STYLE ON MY WOOD SPLITTER THEY ARE JUST A PAIN I HAVE ANOTHER TYPE ON MY SNOW BLOWER THEY WORK MUCH BETTER I THINK ITS JUST THE FLAT FACE CLOSE QUICKER AND DON'T LEAK ANY OIL OUT HYDRAULOCKING THEM LET ME KNOW IF YOU RIG UP CURE P.S. sorry about the cap locks

/ Relieving Hydraulic Pressure - Best Method? #33  
I installed 1/2" Pioneer nipple coupler fittings on my ANBO Grapple and have not had any problem whatsoever disconnecting them, simply put the Grapple down, turn off the tractor and disconnect the front remote hydraulic couplers. No leaks, no problem.

They only cost about $20 a pair or less. Check them out here:

http://doityourself.com/store/u436691.htm

/ Relieving Hydraulic Pressure - Best Method? #34  
I have a grapple and had the same problem. Here is the secret: I had left the grapple open when I quick detached it so that it would stand upright just so and I could easily hook it when I wanted to reattach. (can you see where this is going?)

Indeed, I easily picked it up with the quick attach and went to hook up the hydraulics. No way I could relieve the pressure. I even loosened the fitting slightly. That's not the answer. Here's the answer, because here is the problem: The grapple was open and wanted to close itself (thanks to Mr. Gravity). That generated the hydraulic "pressure". Lose a little fluid, still wants to close, still generates pressure. etc.

My (helpful) dealer diagnosed the problem and here was his solution: go up against a tree and push to "open" the grapple. Once I understood, I had an easier solution: took my hydraulic jack and pushed up to "open" the grapple and equalized the pressure. One coupler slid in as slick as **** through a goose. Then, I released the hydraulic jack and now gravity helped me by easing the other (direction) coupler.

Of course, the best answer is to only disconnect the hydraulics when the grapple is completely shut and gravity is not trying to push in the hydraulic cylinder. If there is some build up of pressure after disconnect (hot sun, black hoses, liquid expansion) the same trick should work. In fact, I plan to get a small "bottle" jack for just this purpose (I was able to get to my big hydraulic floor jack, the first time).

An alternative (besides the tree trick) would be a stout piece of firewood properly placed and downpressure or un-curl, depending.