Removable Snow Cab

/ Removable Snow Cab #1  

HiTech Redneck

Like many others this year,I wanted to get out of the wind & blowing snow.I got some ideas from others on here that made their own cabs.I didn't want something permanent.During the better weather,I just wanted the regular tractor for mowing,blading etc.
I used 1 1/4 in. ABS pipe for the frame & mounted it on a piece of 2x4 which I connected the to top hole where the top link connects.(not sure what that is called) I used a piece of angle from an old shelving unit & bolted it on.At the front I used some threaded rod with a steel end from an old bungee cord.I hooked the end under the tractor sheetmetal & ran the top of the threaded rod thru the front windshield part of the ABS frame.To remove the cab,I undo the nut & bolt at the back & loosen the 2 wing nuts at the front.
I used a heavy guage clear vinyl from a hardware store & attached it with duck tape & plastic wire ties.It gives good visibility in all directions.I have named it my "Pope-Mobile".I also left about a foot at the back not taped down to act as a flap so I can reach out to rotate the chute.
I had originally planned to use a golf cart cover as others had done,but I thought this would give better visibility.
So far it makes a big difference.

Attachments

• P1010062 (Small).JPG
    P1010062 (Small).JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 510
  • P1010059 (Small).JPG
    P1010059 (Small).JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 325
  • P1010061 (Small).JPG
    P1010061 (Small).JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 471
  • P1010055 (Small).JPG
    P1010055 (Small).JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 417
  • P1010057 (Small).JPG
    P1010057 (Small).JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 422
   / Removable Snow Cab #2  
Looks good :thumbsup: anything that keeps the snow out of your face is a good thing,, It always seems that with a blower it always blows back at you ,:D

/ Removable Snow Cab #3  
Nice Hitech Redneck work.

Does the cab tilt to enter and exit?

/ Removable Snow Cab #4  
Very cool. Great job. I was thinking about trying to put something together out of plastic pipe. Now, I'm really inspired :)

/ Removable Snow Cab
Hi! The left side of the plastic is not taped all the way down.It is used as a large flap to get in & out.I fastened a piece of velcro to the edge of the plastic & the other velcro piece on the post of the windshield pipe.When I get in I snap the velcro together to keep the flap shut. The back part of the flap is on the inside part of the fender so it doesn't blow open.
I've used it many times & seems to be like a greenhouse in there.I don't wear a touque & hooded sweater anymore just my ball cap.(Besides the rest of my clothes)
Total investment was about $70.No more looking like Frosty the Snowman when i'm done clearing snow.I do my 1/4 mile drive & 5 more of my neighbors.Should have done this years ago!!!

/ Removable Snow Cab #6  
That's a great looking job. It is way better for outward visibility than a soft side golf-cart type cover. I used one of those a few seasons but a near-miss with a pedestrian got me looking for better see-thru. Does the solvent welded ABS hold up in cold temperatures? I'll bet when the wind swirls snow around your tractor now, you just smile in there. Good job :thumbsup:

/ Removable Snow Cab
Hi! No problem with the pipe as yet."BIG" difference even with this temporary shelter!! Just woke up to 10 more inches this morning.Off to work I go! Like a kid with a new toy. Thanks!

/ Removable Snow Cab #8  
HiTech Redneck,

I really like the simplicity of your cab and that you can remove it when you don't need it. Can you answer a few questions for me?

1) Was there a reason you used black ABS rather than white PVC, is ABS a better choice for cold?

2) How thick was the Vinyl? I found some 5 mil which comes in a 54 inch wide by 12 foot long roll, was this similar to what you used?

3) How did you secure the Velcro to the vinyl, did you use the adhesive back Velcro?

/ Removable Snow Cab
Hi thclimber! There was no preference for me on the type of pipe.I have used ABS in the past for various projects & had no problems. I used 1 1/2 in. dia. & it is makes a solid,rigid cage for the rest of the enclosure. I put a piece of 3/8 plywood (left over from a roofing project) on top & secured it with nuts & bolts.
The vinyl I used was also 54 in. wide,but could be purchased by the yard.I bought 6 yds. & had very little left over after a bit of trimming.I don't recall the exact thickness,but there were 3 available & I took the thickest.
I just poked a tiny hole in the vinyl & then in the velcro & put a small nut & bolt with washers thru & tightened em up.
The simple enclosure matches it's owner,a simple ole country boy.
Thank's for your interest!!

/ Removable Snow Cab #10  
Hi thclimber! There was no preference for me on the type of pipe.I have used ABS in the past for various projects & had no problems. I used 1 1/2 in. dia. & it is makes a solid,rigid cage for the rest of the enclosure. I put a piece of 3/8 plywood (left over from a roofing project) on top & secured it with nuts & bolts.
The vinyl I used was also 54 in. wide,but could be purchased by the yard.I bought 6 yds. & had very little left over after a bit of trimming.I don't recall the exact thickness,but there were 3 available & I took the thickest.
I just poked a tiny hole in the vinyl & then in the velcro & put a small nut & bolt with washers thru & tightened em up.
The simple enclosure matches it's owner,a simple ole country boy.
Thank's for your interest!!

I think I need to find some thicker vinly.

Thanks for the info, Tim