Removing Dents from John Deere 2440 Hood

/ Removing Dents from John Deere 2440 Hood #1  

OrangeAgain

Silver Member
Tractor
2015 Kioti RX7320PC, 1983 Kubota L275 4WD, 1981 John Deere 2440 2WD row crop tractor
The JD 2440, part of a property purchase, has two dents in the hood. The biggest dent is 2.5-3 inches deep and wide and perhaps ten inches long. Because of the dents, the hood does not fit properly. The sheet metal is quite thick and not easily manipulated.

I would appreciate advice on how to remove the dent.

Attachments

• John Deere 2440 hood dent-3-800x598.jpg
    John Deere 2440 hood dent-3-800x598.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 452
   / Removing Dents from John Deere 2440 Hood #2  
The JD 2440, part of a property purchase, has two dents in the hood. The biggest dent is 2.5-3 inches deep and wide and perhaps ten inches long. Because of the dents, the hood does not fit properly. The sheet metal is quite thick and not easily manipulated.

I would appreciate advice on how to remove the dent.

When I was faced with a similar dent on one of my JD fenders, I turned the fender upside down, took a 2x4 and pounded the dent out slowly but surely from the inside with a 3 lb hammer. I did mine right on the grass. Sanded it, primed and painted it. Doesn't look anything near "as good as new" but from 50', it's aces. If yours is too ornery, you can apply some heat to it to soften up the metal and then try pounding it out. I'm quite certain this method is not taught in any body shop schools but it works on the farm.

/ Removing Dents from John Deere 2440 Hood #3  
Your dent is severe enough that the metal WILL be stretched a good bit. That means that in order to repair it right, it will have to be shrunk with heat, and that in turn will require re-paint.

Got a similar dent in the hood of my Kubota from a falling dead branch. I just removed the whole hood and will be taking it to a local body shop that we trust. They do good work at a fair price and it will look brand new and be rust-free.

- Jay

/ Removing Dents from John Deere 2440 Hood #4  
The cheapest way would be to carefully hammer it out, use some body putty to smooth it, sand, prime and paint. Don't know about Deere, but Kubota's quarts of paint spray and cover beautifully- no buffing even needed. I would repaint the whole hood rather than trying to just match the damaged area to the rest.

/ Removing Dents from John Deere 2440 Hood #5  
The good thing is,, you have the other-side to compare too.
I'm no expert but this is what I'd do....
Start with banging out the "crease" on the big dent as much as you can, some heat will be need for that big dent. then work on the smaller dent last, get a "pipe" thats fits snug inside "the good side" of the hood, the rounded part. Then, go over to the bad side with the pipe and try and match the curve.
A little heat and allot of banging should bring it back to close enough where you can then apply body filler etc.
Or, if you know someone who works at a body shop, maybe you can get them to fix it in their spare time "at home'.

/ Removing Dents from John Deere 2440 Hood #6  
Use a 4x2 timber, edge on to the dent and hammer out the dent , that way you are not adding hammer dents to the problem. Then you can decide weather to leave the paint as is , or repaint the bonnet.

/ Removing Dents from John Deere 2440 Hood #7  
Take the hood off, lay it upside down on sand with a thin towel over the sand. Take a 2x4 and place one end of the 2x4 on the dent and gently tap the 2x4 with a hammer. You can use a 2x2 or even trim your 2x to fit where needed. I have done my Mahindra grill like this and got the dent out where you can not see it and no paint was harmed. All I added was some Krylon Clear spray paint to get the gloss back.
hugs, Brandi

/ Removing Dents from John Deere 2440 Hood #8  
Ya, and lets see some pics when its done.:mad::p

/ Removing Dents from John Deere 2440 Hood
Here's some Before and After the dent repair pics. A local Richmond, VT machinery repair business used their hydraulic press to pound out the two dents. Cost $30. I'm very satisfied. The main reason to repair the dents, especially the large one, was to get it to fit right. I'm sure it will fit now.

Attachments

• John Deere 2440 hood dent-3-800x598.jpg
    John Deere 2440 hood dent-3-800x598.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 194
  • John Deere 2440 hood dent-20150601-6-800x598.jpg
    John Deere 2440 hood dent-20150601-6-800x598.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 555
   / Removing Dents from John Deere 2440 Hood #10  
Nice.:thumbsup: