Removing lift arm.

/ Removing lift arm. #1  

BufordBoone

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 & M7060
I'm installing Top and Tilt on my L5740. The instructions recommend moving the easily adjustable lift arm from the right side to the left, then installing the hydraulic cylinder as the right lift arm.

Sounds great.

The lift arms on the L5740 are held on by a pin that goes thru what appears to be a piece of cast metal and there are two nuts on that screw on to retain it.

I'm having trouble removing the pins. I suspect they have somewhat corroded to the bracket as I've not removed them in a long time.

I managed to get the left one out using an adjustable wrench to work it back and forth and tapping on the nuts. It was difficult and took a while.

The right one is being more problematic. The location of my rear remotes is also hindering getting an adjustable wrench on it. I know it is simply corroded and may take time to remove.

Any recommendations? Would heat help? I can put a propane torch on it it that should help.

I've put penetrating oil on it, am hoping that it will break free tomorrow morning.

I figured asking here in the meantime might get me a solution I'd not thought of by morning.

Thanks, in advance!

/ Removing lift arm. #2  
spray penetrating oil on it every 5 minutes, keep it soaked good. I hope you are using a good penetrating oil, Aero-Kroil is the best you can get

/ Removing lift arm. #3  
I'm installing Top and Tilt on my L5740. The instructions recommend moving the easily adjustable lift arm from the right side to the left, then installing the hydraulic cylinder as the right lift arm.

Sounds great.

The lift arms on the L5740 are held on by a pin that goes thru what appears to be a piece of cast metal and there are two nuts on that screw on to retain it.

I'm having trouble removing the pins. I suspect they have somewhat corroded to the bracket as I've not removed them in a long time.

I managed to get the left one out using an adjustable wrench to work it back and forth and tapping on the nuts. It was difficult and took a while.

The right one is being more problematic. The location of my rear remotes is also hindering getting an adjustable wrench on it. I know it is simply corroded and may take time to remove.

Any recommendations? Would heat help? I can put a propane torch on it it that should help.

I've put penetrating oil on it, am hoping that it will break free tomorrow morning.

I figured asking here in the meantime might get me a solution I'd not thought of by morning.

Thanks, in advance!

Use "Kroil" spray penetrant.
Multiple applications, over several days.
Tap after each application.
Be patient!

/ Removing lift arm.
I'll get some Kroil I've been using PB Blaster.

Thanks, all.

/ Removing lift arm. #5  
A torn off chunk of shop rag - wrapped tightly around the offending nut - soaked in penetrating oil. A lot easier than spraying the nut every five minutes.

/ Removing lift arm. #6  
Use "Kroil" spray penetrant.
Multiple applications, over several days.
Tap after each application.
Be patient!

A torn off chunk of shop rag - wrapped tightly around the offending nut - soaked in penetrating oil. A lot easier than spraying the nut every five minutes.
Both.
Keep it soaking and if you can leave a wrench or vice-grips hanging on it do so. Then tap (or lightly whack) it in both directions (both loosening and tightening). Kroil will creep in slowly.

Warmth is your friend, the 40° temps we've been getting are not good, but better than freezing.

/ Removing lift arm. #7  
I've often found, when doing a project such as this. There will always be one nut, fastener or lynch pin that is a bugger and can hold things up for quite a while. I think Murphy has a play in this game.

/ Removing lift arm.
I think Murphy has a play in this game.

Is Murphy ever NOT around? Ha.

I am actually having fun learning new things. Assuming I get the pin out without damaging anything, this will be chalked up to another learning experience.

Here is a "Hindsight" moment:

To install the backhoe, it is necessary to remove the 3-pt hitch. First time I removed both the lift arms and the draw arms. In looking at it I thought "There doesn't seem to be any reason to remove the lift arms. They will just hang and can be zip tied so as to not flop about. What a time saver!

That was about 5 years ago. Had I been removing them each time I put the backhoe on, I'll bet they wouldn't be stuck now.

What a "timesaver" that is turning out to be.

Learning is fun!

Does anyone think I should put any heat (propane torch is all I've got) on the joint?

/ Removing lift arm. #9  
For feature reference anti seize thread compound is a handy item to have in the shop.

Patience and keep soaking it and tapping as your doing.

/ Removing lift arm. #10  
I would let the penetrating oil do it's work and skip the heat.