Removing MMM Chute Deflector BX2200

/ Removing MMM Chute Deflector BX2200 #1  

Tom_H

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200
During my first year of mowing with the BX2200, I used the blower and bagger. It was a lot of work. For the last 4 years I've used the mulch baffles and blades. It functions well in addition to being less work: no bagging, and with recycled nutrients, no fertilizing. I'm going to try to sell the blower/bagger to my local dealer.

Because of the baffles, nothing ever comes out of the chute on the 60" MMM, and it takes up extra space in the garage. I've been debating removing the deflector. I know I could bungee cord it back, but don't want to deal with it being in the way. In pondering this removal, two considerations come to mind:

1) Even though the rightmost baffle has blocked all ejecta to this point, is there still any danger in removing the deflector?

2) The spring on the chute is considerably torqued. Once removed, how difficult is it to get the deflector back on and all the torqued tension back into the spring and hold it there while tapping the rod back into position?

Opinions are welcome, however feedback from those who've previously done this will be highly appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Tom

/ Removing MMM Chute Deflector BX2200 #2  
Certain mowing tasks in my neighbor's field are easier without the chute down and with an absence of spectators who might be injured, I have found that a small piece of radius edge decking stuck between the chute and mower with the chute raised 90 degrees works beautifully. That 'torquey' spring holds everything right in place!!
Now, this doesn't eliminate the chute sticking up, which could be a nuisance, but I always enter & exit the tractor from the left side.

/ Removing MMM Chute Deflector BX2200 #3  
Greetings, I didn't want to wait on my dealer to deliver my MMM so I went & picked it up and assembled the chute deflector myself. It does have a bit of torque going on but not as much as one would think. To remove the deflector, knock out the small roll pin with a drift/punch & hammer. The rollpin is the small pin that is perpendicular to the larger rod the spring rides on and the deflector hinges on. It keeps the rod from working loose at either end of the MMM's deflector's supports. Once you've removed the roll pin then slowly knock the longer/bigger rod out. That'll free it all up.

To be safe, I'd recommend you wear eye protection.

If you recieved an owners manual w/ your MMM, it shows a breakdown of this assembly as well as it's assembly instructions. Just reverse 'em.

Good luck
Volfandt